Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    I'm being honest. I don't know everything about the flat earth but I do know that according to the numbers, 8" times the mile squared, that the earth is flat and people are documenting it all over the plane.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Awesome another video of guys on boats, this time with lasers so you KNOW it's true.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Awesome another video of guys on boats, this time with lasers so you KNOW it's true.
    Ok... here's an article from The Guardian... because if it is written then it is more true. Kansas is literally flatter than a pancake as stupid as that sounds.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ghereducation2

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    Ok... here's an article from The Guardian... because if it is written then it is more true. Kansas is literally flatter than a pancake as stupid as that sounds.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ghereducation2

You didn't actually read the article, did you? Let me just quote a few things from it for you:

"The Ig Nobel awards are the supreme application of common sense to science: the common sense of humour."

"Some research papers may simply be seen as shameless bids for an Ig"

"This year, for instance, three geographers compared the flatness of Kansas to the flatness of a pancake."

And THIS is the kind of material that makes you believe the Earth is flat? Dude.... this is getting silly.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    You didn't actually read the article, did you? Let me just quote a few things from it for you:

"The Ig Nobel awards are the supreme application of common sense to science: the common sense of humour."

"Some research papers may simply be seen as shameless bids for an Ig"

"This year, for instance, three geographers compared the flatness of Kansas to the flatness of a pancake."

And THIS is the kind of material that makes you believe the Earth is flat? Dude.... this is getting silly.
    Did you read the article ?

"This year, for instance, three geographers compared the flatness of Kansas to the flatness of a pancake. They used topographic data from a digital scale model prepared by the US Geological Survey, and they purchased a pancake from the International House of Pancakes. If perfect flatness were a value of 1.00, they reported, the calculated flatness of a pancake would be 0.957 "which is pretty flat, but far from perfectly flat". Kansas's flatness however turned out to be 0.997, which they said might be described, mathematically, as "damn flat."

The measurements tell the truth even if it is being done in jest.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Also when i search google scholar for "kansas is flatter than a pancacke" i get no real hits, suggesting this is not in fact a published journal article at all.

Also the article you posted gives no links to the research, and does not give the names of any scientists who were involved in the study.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...kansas+is+flat

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    The measurements given by the USGS? We're back to that again?

The USGS will tell you it's round, but you're going to believe their data?

So the USGS has the data right, and they know about it, but they are tricking you? They are in on this vast round earth conspiracy?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    And finally, we already talked, at length, about how parts of the continental crust can be flat, without the entire planet being flat. You should be able to visualize this if you try.

Array

School
    Ok Craig. Show me proof of the convexity of the globe.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Try this if you're still having a hard time visualizing...

take a sphere of wood and sand one part of it on a belt sander. Now observe. Flat area on a sphere.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast