Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

What to look for in a mma gym?

what should people look for when choosing an mma gym??

me for example, when i was looking to train i knew i wanted to train strictly BJJ for the time being. so maybe that's the first thing to ask yourself..."do i want a place that does one style, two styles or complete MMA. Next i wanted to look for a place i could trust, gracie barra, alliance, marcelo, etc. Then look into the instructors, if there a black belt find out how and from who. Someone can tell you there a 3rd degree blackbelt in Jiu jitsu, thats great so can i...so do a little research. Then i would take an intro class or sit in on a class (how do they teach, are they calm, friendly, safe)....etc again that's just me.

hope this helps

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    alright this does kind of help..the thing is i train at new england mma and they dont exactly have the best striking but they do have good grapiling...but i want a mma school/gym thats has it all so i was thinking of joining snemma/10th planet hartford but they dont teach wrestiling or boxing or kickboxing....they only teach muay thai and bjj..so im a little confused

Array

School
    10th planet headquarters
    Good quality instructors with a lot of experience.

yea i totally understand, there a ton of places around, main thing is you REALLY got to look into them to make sure if its complete MMA place, the instructors are good instructors.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    Location and price was the top two important things for me. I found a school that's closest. It had the best deal and the people there were really cool and patient with the new guy. 2 years later and the prices went up, but it's still close and the people are cool as ever. So now it's a matter of comfort. You have to be comfortable.

Array

School
    Team X-T1
    Different people will look for different things....I did a little research first as in what places where offering, then I made a few calls and spoke to the coach and asked a bunch of questions, this gave me a good basis for what classes I wanted to go along and take a look at before trying out their free session...(if they even offered one).....after that it was just a matter of where I was made to feel most welcome and the quality of the instruction....

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir Mehovic View Post
    alright this does kind of help..the thing is i train at new england mma and they dont exactly have the best striking but they do have good grapiling...but i want a mma school/gym thats has it all so i was thinking of joining snemma/10th planet hartford but they dont teach wrestiling or boxing or kickboxing....they only teach muay thai and bjj..so im a little confused
    Emir, I understand that you're young (13 I think you said) and I can excuse some of your assumptions, but you haven't even looked into my academy or program directly. You haven't spoken with me or come in to try a class. NE MMA has decent wrestling, yes, but they lack a lot.
    As for my curriculum: Thai boxing IS "kickboxing". The Grandaddy of all kickboxing arts. I am a certified coach in Thai Boxing 2x over-under the IMB Academy and Kru Phil Nurse as well. I am certified to teach Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do (fundamentaly a "kickboxing" art to the uninitiated). I am also certified to teach Catch Wrestling, as well as 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu.
    To say that I don't teach boxing (when I have been a USA Boxing coach) and don't teach wrestling (when you've not actually spoken to me or come to the academy) is short sighted. Again, I can excuse a lot because of youth, what I will never excuse is someone of any age stating anything about me that is not true.
    I extend my invitation again-come to my academy and try free class of any kind.