Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the unspoken rules of leg locks

rolling in class the other day i managed to get a knee bar on my partner from the russian cowboy (zog i know you'll read this your videos are sick cheers ) after our roll another guy came up to me and said i shouldn't have done that as white belts aren't permitted to do legs locks is this the unspoken rule at schools and in comps ????? or just my school

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    It is a normal thing that schools don't let the lower belts do leg locks. The main reason is that they do not have control or enough tech (normally) to do them without injuring there partner. If the instructors goes over them and say it is ok then go for them. If not you should leave it alone. If you are the exception talk to your partner before you roll and ask them if they are ok with catch and release. That is the safest way I have found to get proficient with out the danger of hurting your partner in the beginning.

Array

School
    10thPlanet HQ/Oside/Kauai
    thats the dark side of the force.
    The 10thPlanetjj Family Map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...513672&t=h&z=4

The 10thPlanetjj Family Tree http://www.jj4all.com/10p/rank/

Instagram: seanjitsu

our only rule is no heel hooks till blue, otherwise all submissions are fair game. Which is great because I'll jump on a leg with a quickness.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    We aren't supposed to do any twisting leg/foot locks at low belts, my gym goes on the competition rules of you aren't allowed to do them till you are brown or black belt. Straight leg locks and knee bars are fair game though

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    It's a very common rule among most schools. I understand why it's in place, but some schools take it too far.

I think most places have the rule of no leg locks till blue. I know the Gracie Academy's rule is you can have at leg locks, but you cant apply pressure, but they arent supposed to spar till blue anyway. I think it should be like every other submission, if the other guy doesnt know the sub, dont execute it (because they might not tap), and execute all subs very very slowly. (Im speaking about gym training, tournament is another deal)

Array

School
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu & 10th Planet
    what's the 10th planets rule on this.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    It's very likely not an "unspoken" rule, but actually an official written rule.

This was the the way the traditional gym I trained in operated.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    No such rules at my gym, white belts sittin back on heel hooks because they can get a quick tap from it. They aren't taught very often so that's nice but when they are there is a rash of white belts thinking they need to be promoted when they get a few taps.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast