Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In my point of view you should go for wrestling & BJJ cause judo is mostly useless , too much rely on gi , their main goal is to score points , they will never teach you the self defense aspects of it cause they turned this art into a same category as football , table tennis , swimming etc . I don't think its a martial art anymore , nowadays its just a sport . judo starts with a point & end with a point . In a good BJJ school they will teach you some useful throws of Judo like osoto gari , ouchi geri , seoi nage , ogoshi , uchi mata , hari goshi etc . You can learn those throws in a BJJ school too . however Wrestling fall in this sports category too but its takedowns are much more easy to learn & use than those fancy techniques of judo . Most judo throws are very much complicated & it will take a lots of time to master those technique & most throws reply heavily on a GI , without a gi most JUDO techniques will never work . So in my opinion you should go for wrestling & BJJ , its a damn good combination & its very practical .

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by derrick ikwueme View Post
    jiujitsu & judo work well in sport jiujitsu, jiujitsu & wrestling is better suited for mma, so it's really about your goal
    +1, Judo works amazing with BJJ once you are efficient with both of them. I would actually recommend you to take one and take it to a respectable spot, then dig the other though.
    In competition you should be doing BJJ not wrestling, if you are a BJJ practitioner of course. Your overall aim is to stop wrestlers who participate in grappling tournaments and submit them before they can ride you to a points win for them. So a little counter wrestling would work great in your game but it will never throw off a true wrestler. It will throw off a pure BJJ guy but in the end you could get submitted to by the BJJ guy due to him putting in more time in just one sport and you dividing yours in to two, if given the same training time. This leaves you with Judo/BJJ. The advantage of Judo is the fact that it will make it much easier for you to bring the fight to the ground and secure top position against pure BJJ guys. It will be harder against the wrestlers but think of it this way, a wrestler trains wrestling and defense against wrestling take downs, not judo throws. So there is a higher chance of you catching a wrestler with a judo move and throw him on his back and land on his ribs with your body, then use what you learned in wrestling to not to get smashed by a true wrestler until you can submit him.

I am no wrestler nor a Judo player. I am not even good at BJJ yet . I just know a couple guys that are very solid and black belt in Judo and BJJ together and I am deducing some results by reasoning things. So take it at your own discretion.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    In the gi bjj & judo. No-Gi/MMA bjj & wrestling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Nottingham
    Bjj and wrestling. Judo maybe in a year to add to your wrestling game.

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    it depends on how good the available teachers are. i have a judo black belt teaching at my club once a fortnight and its starting to show in my game. he's competed successfully in mma and he only teaches stuff that he has success with so its no bs. even if you do no gi or mma, judo can be effective with just over unders as long as you understand the concepts of it all.

Array

School
    Jay Pages Jiu-Jitsu/CTA
    I would say BJJ and Wrestling! Wrestling throws and takedowns doesn't rely on the gi which will in turn transfer better across the board in BJJ (Gi & No-Gi), MMA, and even in Judo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12