Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    our perception of our own realities are what help us define ourselves. Do you think any of those fighters I named would have accomplished what they did if they did not believe that they could? Genetics is a very good thing to have, but it's not what makes you a champion. Genetics is what you make it out to be. If you believe it's a limiting factor it will limit you. But I guarantee you that the one thing in common between all those people that I named is that they did not believe it would limit them. and in the end it didn't.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    maybe because the thread is hating on weight cutting even though dan hardy cuts weight too. just because johnson cuts more weight, he's the bad guy ?

Array

School
    Finney's in St. Louis! H.I.T. Squad in Granite City!
    Genetics is not something that's fixed and permanent... as some would have you believe... In fact, eating GMOs will alter your DNA... Meditation can too...

Stop being a slave to your past and start being the architech of your future!

As Man Thinketh - James Allen. If people knew about thoughtforms 100 years ago, why're we still guessing today?

I want a colon cleansing! I figure an attitude like that can really help me in jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    Alliance BJJ Hawaii
    I had posted a similar thread about a month ago... I'm not for weight cutting or for weight classes neither. I think there should be an "absolute weight class" in mma, then we will see who's the bad ass in mma.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Elton View Post
    Ya and reach and height should be considered as well
    Look at jon jones
    Fucking 84.5 inch reach and everybody else in lhw is what 74? Its bullshit take jones' height and reach away snd hes shit
    Put him into heavyweight and he would get man-handled
    Dude this is twice you have said something this stupid. Jon Jones' reach advantage is huge, yes, but its just how the sport is played. GET OVER IT!! Miguel Torres has like a 10'' reach advantage in his division and I dont see you crying about that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Chavez View Post
    maybe because the thread is hating on weight cutting even though dan hardy cuts weight too. just because johnson cuts more weight, he's the bad guy ?
    Hey man, look I try to keep things as respectful as possible, but do you have any reading and comprehension skills at all? This thread does not blame Johnson, or is about Hardy. They were just an example, and you could replace them with any other two fighters who fight in the same weight class but have large size differences. I am trying to find the answer to a question. The question is " What is the point of having weight classes, when you have 230 pounders competing at welterweight. " I am well aware that every fighter cuts a bit weight, but should't there be something preventing from people abusing the one day prior weigh in schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Hey man, look I try to keep things as respectful as possible, but do you have any reading and comprehension skills at all? This thread does not blame Johnson, or is about Hardy. They were just an example, and you could replace them with any other two fighters who fight in the same weight class but have large size differences. I am trying to find the answer to a question. The question is " What is the point of having weight classes, when you have 230 pounders competing at welterweight. " I am well aware that every fighter cuts a bit weight, but should't there be something preventing from people abusing the one day prior weigh in schedule?
    As I said earlier.. its possible but you probably wouldn't enjoy the outcome as much as you think you would. Also because Johnson cuts so much weight its possible to wear him out. He takes that risk hoping for another advantage. Its all part of the strategy.. I think you're just upset at how Johnson won and the fact that hardy didn't win.. hardy just doesn't have what it takes to beat someone like Johnson.. its not like Johnson is unbeatable.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by zaya View Post
    Dan hardy just needs to keep working. If this theory were true please explain how Jean Jacques Machado, who was born with essentially one hand won nearly every bjj championship in Brazil and Abhu Dhabi, and the Pan Ams. Twice.
    I was not suggesting it was a hard fast rule. There are exceptions. But hey...some people really do excel because of genetic advantages. I simply submitted that you can't hate on someone that is able to cut 60 pounds. If you do, then you hate on Bones' reach and all the other things that have nothing to do with time in the gym but the way your body just is.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourya S View Post
    As I said earlier.. its possible but you probably wouldn't enjoy the outcome as much as you think you would. Also because Johnson cuts so much weight its possible to wear him out. He takes that risk hoping for another advantage. Its all part of the strategy.. I think you're just upset at how Johnson won and the fact that hardy didn't win.. hardy just doesn't have what it takes to beat someone like Johnson.. its not like Johnson is unbeatable.
    Exactly. This really is just seeming like a hater thread. Sorry...is the OP upset that Johnson just cuts better than Hardy? I think Hardy would be better served by learning how to defend takedowns as opposed to worrying how much someone cuts. What's the most johnson gets back that day...20 lbs? well hardy gains weight back too.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I hope someone did not already say this (I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet), but what about multiple weigh ins? Why not have guys weigh in 4 weeks before, 2 weeks before, and day before? I'd like to see Anthony Johnson make 170 in that case. Seems like it would be a way to moderate weight cutting without getting rid of the system entirely, or without preventing someone who is 2 lbs over from losing it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast