Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Greg Jackson: New stablemate Gina Carano has "all the potential in the world"

by Joshua Carey on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm ET mmajunkie.com
    Gina Carano (8-1 MMA, 1-1 SF) is the newest addition to Greg Jackson's team in Albuquerque, N.M.

Carano recently decided to depart from her home base of Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas to prepare with the distinguished Jackson as she prepares to make her return from a 22-month layoff to fight at June's "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum" event.

Jackson recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it was rather straightforward how the pair synced up.

"She called me up and said 'Hey, can I come down to Albuquerque to train?'" Jackson said. "I said, 'Sure.' So, she came down to train."

Needless to say, there wasn't much hesitation on Jackson's behalf.

But, through the years, Jackson has said that he's been forced to turn away a variety of fighters because they weren't a good fit for Team Jackson/Winkeljohn.

So, what exactly made Carano, who's still awaiting an opponent for the June return, a good addition when others have failed to fit the mold?

"We don't have any 145ers, and she's really sweet and really nice," Jackson said. "So, those are the things you look for. And she's talented; she's very talented."

Carano brings her talents to a women's team that features former Strikeforce welterweight champion Sarah Kaufman, the undefeated Holly Holm, notable Julie Kedzie and a talented amateur roster.

From Jackson's standpoint, Carano is certainly making the most out of the time spent with the aforementioned ladies. He's thrilled with the decision to bring her on board.

"She's really talented, she works hard, she does what's expected, and I'm impressed," he said. "I'm just starting to get to know her as fighter. But, she's here all the time and she works really, really hard."

Randy Couture, the head of Carano's former team, echoed those sentiments and recently told MMAjunkie.com the split was amicable.

"I'm all for it," Couture said. "I want all the fighters at my gym to go wherever they need to go to get what they need to progress and become the best fighters they can be.

"They can't always get that at Xtreme Couture."

While Jackson continues to familiarize himself with Carano, he confesses that he already sees the potential the polarizing figure of women's MMA possesses.

"She's got the talent, and she has a great work ethic," Jackson said. "Those two things will take you as far as your will can. As I get to know her more as far as helping her out for the fight, we'll get to a better sense of it. But, she definitely has all the talent and all the potential in the world."

For more on "Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum," stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    yeah...I think her getting away from team couture is going to make all the difference in the world with her ground game. Having a strong wrestling base with some good women is going to be the only way she can deal with cyborg when things get on the ground. My hope is that her stand up and takedown defense improve enough that her and cyborg can have a 5 round fight.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    She belongs in the Kitchen!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    She's my second favorite, behind Miesha Tate.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

I have seen the potential in her from day one; and, she can fight too.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    How's it feel to know that some women in this world can take us out without too much trouble in hand to hand? Personally, I <3 it. I wish my wife got into jiu jitsu or MMA, even if just for health benefits.

Array

School
    Combat Sports Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Daniels View Post
    I have seen the potential in her from day one; and, she can fight too.
    nice.

I wud love to "grapple" with her but yes womens mma = wnba
    Boring, isnt as good, and waste of money to go watch

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    [QUOTE=Kiko;53852]How's it feel to know that some women in this world can take us out without too much trouble in hand to hand? Personally, I <3 it. I wish my wife got into jiu jitsu or MMA, even if just for health benefits.

They have adult sites for what you are looking for.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    How's it feel to know that some women in this world can take us out without too much trouble in hand to hand? Personally, I <3 it. I wish my wife got into jiu jitsu or MMA, even if just for health benefits.
    I am with you I have tried to get my wife to learn some but we don't have a lot of spare time with our one year old toddling around. I think it would be cool to have her in class but she has issues with other people touching her...lol ...girls pfft!
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13