Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    so you acknowledge wrist locks have legitimate submission/braking abilities but than you mock them using someone who really believes in them and has a black belt in two (if not more) martial arts? Don't you think that he wouldn't teach them any more if they didn't work?

Something great about Aikido that people don't normally see in my opinion is there footwork and ability to enter to clinch distance. It is made to look easy but when noticed looking easy is a tribute to the technique.
    I've had my squabbles about Aikido, but I have not thought it was useless or not legit at the high levels.
    no read a little closer I was mocking the guys who said wrist locks were mandatory in most bjj schools to advance in rank by showing A bjj black belt who advocates them not requiring them in his ranking tests. And yes I conceded from the beginning that wrist locks are a viable submission just not the way I have seen used in aikido. I.E. as take downs
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    cops use them as take downs on the regular. what more do you need?
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    Ronin
    One of the core principals of aikido is to defend your self with out harming your attacker and on that point I stand by my original statement that aikido is a joke. The founder of aikido was integrating his religious beliefs in to the development of aikido.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    cops use them as take downs on the regular. what more do you need?
    show me. Three on one?

Array

School
    Ronin
    maybe for control but I doubt as an effective one on one take down. Ive watched my fair share of "Cops" and ive never seen it.

we all just got trolled

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by petenguyen View Post
    we all just got trolled
    ????
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Jonathan, your mocking is not properly adressed my friend. I did not say you will not be belted unless you know Aikido wrist locks, lets not twist words here. I said you will not be belted in a reputable BJJ school unless you know some self defense. It is a part of the whole Brazilian Jiu jitsu curriculum. Then I said there are moves in that curiculum which rely on joint manupulation which are originated from Aikido.

Also probably except Gracies, there is no such thing as belt testing. Meaning, if somebody is in a "belt testing" enviroment, than his instructors has already decided that he is ready for the next level, and his is going to get that belt at the end of the day no matter what. The guy rolling with lots of people to the brink of exhaustion and trying to demonstrate everything he knows is more of the ceremony than actual testing.

For your information at our school, even during the ceremony, some aspects of self defence is demonstrated by the promoting students.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    maybe we could just adjust the aikido is a joke statement to...

it's a joke if you think it can be used in any type of sport fashion? Heck...I don't know. I guess my thing is that if we put the wraps on and spar...whose going to win? I have never seen aikido performed in anything other than a demo with full compliant participants, even with segal. You see a lot of people flopping on the floor from barely being touched and a lot of clapping. As far as I'm concerned, it's right up there with chi force and pressure points.

Quote Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
    maybe we could just adjust the aikido is a joke statement to...

it's a joke if you think it can be used in any type of sport fashion? Heck...I don't know. I guess my thing is that if we put the wraps on and spar...whose going to win? I have never seen aikido performed in anything other than a demo with full compliant participants, even with segal. You see a lot of people flopping on the floor from barely being touched and a lot of clapping. As far as I'm concerned, it's right up there with chi force and pressure points.

akido can be put to use on the ground. If you're argument is "well these locks are only used in BJJ", then that is not true at all. These wristlocks are a fusion of BJJ and akido (and it's also fair to give some credit to JJJ and ninjitsu). Like it or not, akido CAN and HAS been used effectively in a sports environment. I mean where do you think the lock's mechanics came from? No one here is trying to say akido is useful by itself. No martial art is really against a trained fighter. But like it or not there are elements of akido in BJJ.

look at the wristlock at :38. That's a successful fusion of BJJ and akido. Don't try and tell me no ones ever done this to you. If they haven't, keep rolling, and it'll happen.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast