Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I agree. In that andre winnner vs nick lentz fight, nick lentz caused zero damage, he may have controlled the match but it wasnt fighting. Winner wasnt damaged at all, you have to inflict damage to win a fight.

They need to have a look at the scoring system more, octagon control is supposed to be just one of the factors that they use to score a fight. Or bring yellow cards for inactivity into play!

Theres too many wrestlers who have forgot about ground n pound are bringing ground n hug into the cage instead

im not really looking forward to the gsp koscheck fight for this reason.. prety sure its going to be 5 rounds of nothing
    Last edited by Gary Burton; 09-07-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I'm not trying to be mean but if any of these so called fight finishers could sprawl worth a shit, we wouldn't be having this discussion. No offense to Hardy( he's an exciting fighter to watch), but he just stood there and watched GSP shoot in on him.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    ^^I highly doubt Dan Hardy is talking about his fight with GSP, he didn't even mention it.
    It is obvious that GSP passed guard repeatedly and went for more than a couple submissions. He is talking about huggers. His opinion is talking about the lack of wrestling skill.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bear, Delaware (formerly)
    I didn't see the Nik Lentz Andre Winner fight, but I DID see GSP and Hardy and I DID see the last 3 or 4 or 5 Jon Fitch fights and my reply to Hardy is - what the fuck did YOU do against GSP? If you get taken down and are getting held down, DO something about it. GET OUT of the position. I agree it can be a little bit boring with certain wrestling-heavy styles, but I'm more frustrated by Hardy's complete indifference to getting taken down and then doing anything from the bottom position than I am by GSP's conservative fight plan. If you want to bring Japan into it, you don't ever hear Japanese fans boo the grappling part of a match like you do the drunken idiot Vegas yahoos the minute the match goes to the ground. In Lesnar's 2nd match with Mir, the idiot crowd was actually chanting "stand-them-up" about 10 seconds before Lesnar pounded Mir's face into unhealthy shapes....

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    Knees to an opponent in the 3 point stance is a must it would even alot of things out, but when it comes down to it as a fighter one must dictate where the fight goes work on that take down defense. Also lets get some yellow card action god i miss pride if these dudes were having money taken away i bet they would pick up the pace.
    Last edited by Aikijiujitsu; 09-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    ^^I highly doubt Dan Hardy is talking about his fight with GSP, he didn't even mention it.
    It is obvious that GSP passed guard repeatedly and went for more than a couple submissions. He is talking about huggers. His opinion is talking about the lack of wrestling skill.
    I may have spoke out of place then. But I should also add that alot of these hugging matches are the result of the guy on bottom's pitiful escape skills. If a guy's pinning my hips to the mat there's usually a free Chill Dog for me. Or if my hips are pinned to tight for that, time to frame off his head and shrimp.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Jon, it's different than that. You will find it hard to be able to get Chill Dog on a guy with elite wrestling skills when he is pinning your hips to the mat properly. There's been many a time against higher skilled people where it is VERY hard to escape, even with good escape skills. Wrestlers are very good at keeping things tight on the top, and it's not just as simple as "Oh I'll pull Rubber Guard, or I'll just frame off his head and shrimp".

If it was that easy, everybody would be doing it. It's not that easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    New rules: no decision wins... either you finish the fight or it's a no contest

haha just kidding, but not really

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post

that

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    Jon, it's different than that. You will find it hard to be able to get Chill Dog on a guy with elite wrestling skills when he is pinning your hips to the mat properly. There's been many a time against higher skilled people where it is VERY hard to escape, even with good escape skills. Wrestlers are very good at keeping things tight on the top, and it's not just as simple as "Oh I'll pull Rubber Guard, or I'll just frame off his head and shrimp".

I guess I'll have to take your word for it, but the State Champions I wrestled with in high school tended to stop hugging my hips when I was raking their nose with my forearm. Granted it wasn't always easy to pull off and it often compromised my position, but very few of my wrestling matches remained stagnant.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast