Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Alright I've been sucked back into the conversation. Royce Gracie's guard wasn't on the same level as Rickson, Royler, De La Riva, or any of the top BJJ players of his time. Just ask Royce. He was chosen for UFC because he looked like an average dude and that promoted the idea that Jiu Jitsu could work for anyone. Royce's guard isn't even on Renzo's level. Watch their fights with Matt Hughes. Hughes dominated Royce on the ground and refused to even engage Renzo while he was on his back because he knew it would just mean trouble.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    Alright I've been sucked back into the conversation. Royce Gracie's guard wasn't on the same level as Rickson, Royler, De La Riva, or any of the top BJJ players of his time. Just ask Royce. He was chosen for UFC because he looked like an average dude and that promoted the idea that Jiu Jitsu could work for anyone. Royce's guard isn't even on Renzo's level. Watch their fights with Matt Hughes. Hughes dominated Royce on the ground and refused to even engage Renzo while he was on his back because he knew it would just mean trouble.
    Ahh. I concede the point then.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    If your going to argue best guards of all time versus great wrestler, than your missing the point. There are only so many greatest guards of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Valdez View Post
    If your going to argue best guards of all time versus great wrestler, than your missing the point. There are only so many greatest guards of all time.
    as are there so many greatest wrestlers

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Nice counter point. I do get that you think it's cowardice on the wrestler's part to just stall for the win and rip off the fans who've paid money to see a show, but I still felt the need to interject that there is potential for the high level Jiu Jitsu man to overcome this stalling.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Watkins View Post
    Nice counter point. I do get that you think it's cowardice on the wrestler's part to just stall for the win and rip off the fans who've paid money to see a show, but I still felt the need to interject that there is potential for the high level Jiu Jitsu man to overcome this stalling.
    ahhh, if they would all just learn rubber guard, War Sotoropolis! hasnt Eddie been saying this for years.

this point was much better than your one about take down defense.
    Last edited by Jonathan Wylie; 09-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Ran into this today: clarifying comments by Dan Hardy.

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs...-antiwrestling

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    Good follow up Joshua Jarboe.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    What!? so I supose Matt huges, BJ Penn and Josh Koscheck need to work on there take down defense and learn to sprawl as well right? G.S.P has the best take downs in MMA !! Thats like saying people shouldnt get knocked out by Anderson Sylva they should just improve there stand up defense or People shouldnt be getting submited by Daimen Mia they should just improve there jiu jitsu defense.
    That wasn't what I said. I said that Dan just stood there and watched GSP shoot in on him. And all those other fighters you mentioned can sprawl and pose a greater threat to GSP as far as their wrestling is concerned even though GSP got the better of them in the past. And it seemed to me at the time that Hardy resents wrestlers because he can't wrestle (or at least not on the same level as the names you mentioned). But I also didn't read the article and I got a little irrational because I felt that DValdez was making some harsh and unfair statements about wrestlers. Sorry. And I'm also gonna have to say that Rashad Evans' takedowns trump GSP's. But then again I may be a little biased because I'm a Big Ten fan and Rashad's a Michigan State alumni.
    Last edited by Jon Watkins; 09-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234