Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    11th Dimension

Any advice on rolling against people pushing 100lbs & over a foot on ya?

I was rolling with some simi-new people today but I'm 5'6" about 190lbs. They had to be pushing 300+ and atleast a foot in height on me. My arms and legs too short to secure much of anything (few failed armbars, leg locks and chokes) so I just out worked them until they gassed. Any better way to defeating these giants? I hate it when they just flop on me and try to get a tap with there weight!!! Oh yeah, I'm also nursing a herniated disc in my lower back.

jesus i have this exact problem, hes a little shorter than me but still like 80 lbs heavier and he just judo throws me and uses his strength against me

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Don't grapple with big dudes if you're injured.

Consider that a rule to live by.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Just straight up tell them. When I was new, I was using my weight and strength on people who were smaller than me, without actually realizing it. One day a guy who was much larger than me man-handled me pretty good and I asked him why he was going so hard with me, he told me he is just going as hard as I was. There I realized, things that feel normal to me, maybe hurting/preventing others from trying out techniques they learn in practice. Since that day, I roll much smoother, pay way more attention to how much my weight my training partner can handle etc.. This is usually only a problem at the beginning stages since, guys who are blue belt and above are skilled enough to protect themselves, even the opponent is much larger.

Array

School
    Dragon Brand Martial Arts
    NoGi is much harder with bigger guys.
    Just say "same team same team fargo" when new guys get to tense

Array

School
    Mat Santos BJJ
    Just get on top and stay there

Array

School
    birmingham
    ditto about wait til injury healed......otherwise watch Marcelo for tips

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    Thanks for the replies. Injury is feeling decent (pinched nerve is almost not bothersome anymore) or I wouldn't have rolled or agreed to compete this Saturday in a gi-only tournament. Still debating on doing an absolute white belt or not. My first gi-only tournament also. I roll with some guys that are around 140lbs and I make sure to be nice but at the beginning they used to beat me up so I like payback sometimes

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Get your Reps in on the ankle lock that einstein showed on mts that would help along with the other suggestions.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    1 of 2 ways. Out work them stay moving don't let them settle. The other is get dom position and ride them till they are tuckerd out and sub them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast