Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility

Array

School
    Jigsaw Martial Arts - Edmonton

Flexibility

So, I want to be a world champion one day... as of last week I have managed to make BJJ my life by opening an MMA clothing store allowing to spend all day (between serving customers) studying instructional DVD's from the great Mr Bravo to Caio Terra and anything and everything in between... i train Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu and on my off days I roll with numerous other BJJ fanatics...now on top of this I finally have some mat's and a large enough store to roll on which will add an extra 2 hours training every day...

so 7 days a week non stop for 5 years... i'm hoping to get pretty damn good...

the only thing i have absolutely no idea about and no routine to address is flexibility i wanna be Eddie Bravo x Bj Penn level flexible eventually

so what are all your flexibility routines if you have any so i can steal them lol

flex every day
    and be able to put both your legs behind your head
    that and be able to do the splits

Well i just started stretching again. I have lost the ability to do the splits and vertical splits because i have not really stretched in over a year (other than a bit before class). I still can put both legs behind my head and do the lotus with no hands. but my hamstrings have gotten tight. it seems i dont have to stretch to remain flexible in a yoga like way and to play rubber guard. but my kicking muscles have gotten tighter without stretching. Im using a wall to put my leg up as high as i can go and holding the stretch doing both sides along with other basic stretches. nothing fancy. It works, at least for me. Try youtube for some vidz on stretches.

Array

School
    10th Planet Stockholm
    The important part is not how much you stretch but how often. Anyway this is my routine wich i do every night....

Butterfly stretch 3 sets of 1 min, sit against a wall with a straight back and push down both knees
    Hip stretch 40 sec on each leg ( 1 set is enough) Put an invisible rubber guard and try to bring your foot as close to your chest as possible
    Plow stretch 2 min with straight legs

These will help you in grappling do them everyday! You can do other stretches to but i realized that these are the only places i need to be flexible on. these stretches (including lotus stretch) are good for armbars, triangles and retaining guard. this is all i do and im really flexible
    Hope this helps

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima View Post
    The important part is not how much you stretch but how often. Anyway this is my routine wich i do every night....

Butterfly stretch 3 sets of 1 min, sit against a wall with a straight back and push down both knees
    Hip stretch 40 sec on each leg ( 1 set is enough) Put an invisible rubber guard and try to bring your foot as close to your chest as possible
    Plow stretch 2 min with straight legs

These will help you in grappling do them everyday! You can do other stretches to but i realized that these are the only places i need to be flexible on. these stretches (including lotus stretch) are good for armbars, triangles and retaining guard. this is all i do and im really flexible
    Hope this helps
    amazing i will do these in the morning during lunch and evening everyday this has helped immensely thankyou very much

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    If you haven't already got it get Eddie's 'Mastering the rubber guard' book. Talks in detail about this stuff.

Array

School
    awesome i have it in the mail as we speak along with the dvd and the twister book im even more exited for them now

Landon DuMar

Eddie shows a couple of his favorite methods to improve knee, groin, and hip flexibility.

For hips, which I feel is very important, I do something similar to this lady, but instead of against a wall I take one hand and feed it through my legs and the other around the outside so I can hug the bent leg and pull the foot that's on the knee towards my chest/head.

If you did the two/three Eddie shows and this hip one you're rubber guard would get insane. Hamstring and groin stretches are great for kicks as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Woods View Post
    so 7 days a week non stop for 5 years...
    What happens in the sixth year?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    The trick is sticking with it. Its taken me so long to get to where I'm at but I was as flexibile as a 2X4 to start
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast