Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    So, how about this question. Do you get more points for failed submission attempts, or getting out of or protecting yourself from the submissions? As mentioned in a post above, Guida landed more shots, and took down Pettis numerous times. Are you saying that Pettis should have won because he had submission ATTEMPTS?

Final point. If it were judged as a JJ match, Guida would have won on points.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Terrific fight. I was pullin for Pettis the whole time. He's a young kid with so much potential. Just gotta keep that posture broken when lockin up that triangle. Damn...ya had 4 chances at it...live an learn...I bet he fixes that mistake in his next fight.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Terrific fight. I was pullin for Pettis the whole time. He's a young kid with so much potential. Just gotta keep that posture broken when lockin up that triangle. Damn...ya had 4 chances at it...live an learn...I bet he fixes that mistake in his next fight.
    I wasn't going to say anything but I couldn't understand how he could set up the triangle perfectly and then let go of his posture. that's triangle 101 stuff right there. grab the back of the head or overhook the arm or both at least until your legs are locked. so frustrating!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    IN the words of Eddie Bravo.......If you cannot finish the dude from your back, you have to sweep. I think that if Pettis had tried for a sweep amongst his attack to vary the fight, he just might have achieved at least more top position or opened up the base of Guida to finish him there. If you cannot finish or sweep, then your pretty much losing the fight no matter how strongly you feel about it, and that's exactly what happened!

Duke Roufus has a Purple Belt running his JJ program and Duke fired his Wrestling coach, who was teaching for free.... I don't know what else to say. Not taking anything away from Purple belts btw... I expected the grappling side of the fighters to dwindle down @ Roufusport... Anthony Pettis is a friend of mine and I feel bad that he lost. I honestly think he can beat Guida if he had a better grappling program in his kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK BARCA View Post
    IN the words of Eddie Bravo.......If you cannot finish the dude from your back, you have to sweep. I think that if Pettis had tried for a sweep amongst his attack to vary the fight, he just might have achieved at least more top position or opened up the base of Guida to finish him there. If you cannot finish or sweep, then your pretty much losing the fight no matter how strongly you feel about it, and that's exactly what happened!
    I agree, Pettis did the exact same wrist control > triangle setup he has done since day 1. Stayed flat on his back in half guard, never tried to load a butterfly hook while in half guard when there was tremendous space, only reason I say this instead of trying to get on his side is... I don't think anybody would really want to be in Clay Guida's head arm control - that guy was squeezing tight and wouldn't let go for nothing. Anthony Pettis does have a decent Mission Control, I have no idea why he doesn't use it... all them elbows that could happen...

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    I knew that Guida had won but let's be honest. Guida was in way more trouble throughout the fight than Pettis was.
    Guida was only stuck in 1 submission that was deep, Where else was he in trouble?

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Piper View Post
    I agree, Pettis did the exact same wrist control > triangle setup he has done since day 1. Stayed flat on his back in half guard, never tried to load a butterfly hook while in half guard when there was tremendous space, only reason I say this instead of trying to get on his side is... I don't think anybody would really want to be in Clay Guida's head arm control - that guy was squeezing tight and wouldn't let go for nothing. Anthony Pettis does have a decent Mission Control, I have no idea why he doesn't use it... all them elbows that could happen...
    Agreed

Array

School
    10th Planet Grimsby
    Yeah Guida deffo won the fight but yeah, I think they should take into account what the guy on top is doing, wrestlers will pin thier opponent down and beat on them and rightfully so get scored on it, but a guy sat in guard throwing the odd short punch now and then shouldnt be getting scored more than a guy constantly attacking for submissions

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast