Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Brown View Post
    When Basketball gets locked out, someone need to call Mark Cuban to start an MMA organization. That dude loves a good investment and has the capital to become an instant rival and he owns his own TV network. No brainer.
    I hoping Cuban will be able to buy the LA Dodgers. But yeah, something is going to happen! The UFC has done a great job of building this sport worldwide but the money just doesn't add up. Between pay per views, gate money, etc. The fighters money should be a lot more. I find no fault in a MMA fighter going after more money. Probably no union but something will happen to give the fighters more leverage.
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 07-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    I doubt there will be a union anytime soon,
    since there is an almost unlimited amount
    of fighters who would be willing to step into
    the game anytime White wanted them to.

Sucks for Machida, probably pushes him back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona
    I don't see the Royler in this. That's our new words for cowardice or dodging something, giving it a royler.
    I don't see Machida as Roylering this, He got offered a fight and said "Pay me more or no"
    The fact that he said "Anderson Silva money" was probably just a measuring stick to him.
    It's hard to say "I want exactly this much" so it's easier to use a comparison.
    This is MMA, where you can get SERIOUSLY hurt every fight.
    BJJ we all know Royler and Eddie 99% will walk out of it fine, albeit one having lost.
    If Machida doesn't prepare well he could suffer major injuries and also this isn't a once-off superfight.
    This is his career path and his way back to the belt - I honestly wouldn't have taken a short notice fight with someone I've already beaten anyway

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Machida didn't pull a Royler. There's 3 sides to a story. Person A, Person B, and what really happened. Being a big Machida fan (meaning even before he started KO'ing dudes in the UFC) I've kept an eye on this. If you put all the pieces together between Dana's comments, Machida's comments, the team's comments, and his wife's interview, you can see a better picture.

Machida wants to fight as often as possible. Dana calls him, he accepts because, as his wife said he told her, "The fighter in me wants to take the fight." But then, his camp is like, 3 weeks isn't enough time to prepare against a top 5 guy. So he's probably like, well, I already agreed. His wife's probably like, well, if they have their back against the wall and they really want you, then they should pay you more for your troubles. IMO that makes sense. If you're gonna inconvenience someone like that, might as well pay for them. The irony is that they refused to pay Machida "Anderson money" but they end up paying more for Tito. Then through his wife she explains his dilemma. The fighter in him wants to take the fight. The professional athlete side realizes it's not in his best interest.

Personally, I think Machida did the right thing despite the miscommunication. Machida's accomplished a lot. He deserved the dough if he was gonna put so much on the line. Wanting more money isn't a sin. Trying to negotiate isn't a bad thing. It's dodging a fight by asking ridiculous money that's pulling a Royler. Machida pulled no Royler.

Yeah, well they paid Tito $400,000 for his last fight and Machida only got $200,000. I say only because "Top" boxers still get paid 5 and 10 million per fight. Give the man cash. It is a F'd up situation for him to step in on 3 weeks against someone he already owned. I say Machida made a smart career move not fighting.
    Exactly.

When Basketball gets locked out, someone need to call Mark Cuban to start an MMA organization. That dude loves a good investment and has the capital to become an instant rival and he owns his own TV network. No brainer.
    That would be amazing. Especially since Cuban tends to side more with the athletes than the suits.

You negotiate before you accept a fight, not after. Machida pulled a scumbag move. Tito did the right thing. He said no at first, thought about it overnight, and when he came to a conclusion he called Dana and asked if anyone took the fight yet.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Allen View Post
    You negotiate before you accept a fight, not after. Machida pulled a scumbag move. Tito did the right thing. He said no at first, thought about it overnight, and when he came to a conclusion he called Dana and asked if anyone took the fight yet.
    Part of the full story is that his whole team needed to move asap and they weren't ready for expenses for short notice expenses, like air fare, room/board, etc. Like was said, the fighter in him wants the fight. The professional athlete/business man side had to play it smart. He did the right thing.

Machida didn't pull anything remotely close to a scumbag move. Don't believe the hype. Don't believe Dana White. He has a way of spinning things to make them look bad when he's mad. I think it's a misunderstanding and Dana was frustrated with the situation. His fall guy is currently Machida.

The only thing Machida's guilty of is being a shitty business man. Before he accepted the fight he needed to think of costs, expenses, risks, how it could affect his career. Instead he just took the fight. Why? Cuz he's a fighter. Props to him for taking the fight on short notice. But also props to his camp for realizing it's not the best option.

EDIT: did you really just create an account to fighter bash? LOL. How much is Dana paying you son?
    Last edited by David Rosado; 07-15-2011 at 09:24 AM.

All Machida had to do is say "I'm sorry, I spoke before I took everything into consideration. The circumstances aren't right. I need more time to prepare for a fight like this." That's what a good guy does. A prick says "Pay me what the top guy makes or I'm not taking the fight I agreed to!"

You obviously have something invested in Machida so you want to take his side. That's fine. I'm just expressing how I see it.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Allen View Post
    All Machida had to do is say "I'm sorry, I spoke before I took everything into consideration. The circumstances aren't right. I need more time to prepare for a fight like this." That's what a good guy does. A prick says "Pay me what the top guy makes or I'm not taking the fight I agreed to!"

You obviously have something invested in Machida so you want to take his side. That's fine. I'm just expressing how I see it.

Again, you're taking the word of Dana regarding how that request was made. You're also implying that the convo went that way. I'm 90% sure Machida wasn't playing hardball like you're making it seem. Anderson isn't even the top paid fighter anyway. In fact, Anderson makes less than Tito. It's not an unreasonable request. Like I said, I just think Dana was mad and now he's doing his usual fighter smearing.

All pieces of the big picture put together, Machida did nothing wrong except be a shitty business man.

Yes, I'm a Machida fan, but I also have a pet peeve when it comes to horrible logic. The "way you see it" could possibly be an option. But it's the one with th least logical sense. You have to take all things into consideration too.

He took the fight verbally. He's a fighter. He wants to fight as much as possible. Told his camp, "rush camp!" They do some business talk. They conclude: bad idea unless you're getting paid more. He says, I need more money. Dana says, "That's what anderson gets paid! You're no anderson! Accomplish what he's accomplished! Now I'm gonna go pay more for a guy with a losing record!"

To me, Dana's the one looking like an idiot whiny cry baby.

But seriously, you signed up to bash Machida? How much is Dana paying you?

Okay, guy. Dana is just a stupid asshole. He don't have no smarts.

Yeesh, some people.

Array

School
    10th planet Indianapolis
    Yeah, well they paid Tito $400,000 for his last fight and Machida only got $200,000. I say only because "Top" boxers still get paid 5 and 10 million per fight. Give the man cash. It is a F'd up situation for him to step in on 3 weeks against someone he already owned. I say Machida made a smart career move not fighting.

Tito is supposedly gettin' that in all his fight from here on out in his current contract so I've read

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast