Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Ive h and watched everything people have been saying and i think that Eddies message may be getting misconstrued.I don't think Eddie is asking if people can "buy" a belt from him. Eddie would never do that. That said he only asked if thinks he should promote affiliate INSTRUCTORS at their gym during a seminar. So i think we should answer that question, its not like Eddie is gonna ever hand out a brown belt to someone who isn't at the brown belt level. That's all Eddie is asking...i think people are expanding on the question too much. So if we are going to keep posting on this thread lets talk about the real question. No disrespect i have mad love for all the hard working 10th Planet guys who feel just as passionate about this as i do!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    Ive h and watched everything people have been saying and i think that Eddies message may be getting misconstrued.I don't think Eddie is asking if people can "buy" a belt from him. Eddie would never do that. That said he only asked if thinks he should promote affiliate INSTRUCTORS at their gym during a seminar. So i think we should answer that question, its not like Eddie is gonna ever hand out a brown belt to someone who isn't at the brown belt level. That's all Eddie is asking...i think people are expanding on the question too much. So if we are going to keep posting on this thread lets talk about the real question. No disrespect i have mad love for all the hard working 10th Planet guys who feel just as passionate about this as i do!
    Maybe you missed the point. He has the criteria in place for a reason. Its not about where he hands out a belt, its about how you are evaluated. A: prove your self on the mats in competition B: go to Hollywood and prove yourself against people who's game and skill level Eddie has a clear understanding of. An instructor hosting a seminar at his gym and running through the guys that he teaches would not prove much would it. Im pretty sure Eddies message was not misconstrued.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    Maybe you missed the point. He has the criteria in place for a reason. Its not about where he hands out a belt, its about how you are evaluated. A: prove your self on the mats in competition B: go to Hollywood and prove yourself against people who's game and skill level Eddie has a clear understanding of. An instructor hosting a seminar at his gym and running through the guys that he teaches would not prove much would it. Im pretty sure Eddies message was not misconstrued.
    Hmm. Another really good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm having problems explaining myself...

Array

School
    Team X-T1
    Everyone has so many good valid points, I agree that Eddie knows the standard he is looking for in people and so does everyone all the way down to the white belts, I Love 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu, WHY? For a whole multitude of reasons......We all enjoy training in 10th Planet and constantly striving to better ourselves, be that on the mats, at a competition or seminar, through DVD's & Books...if Eddie did not have belts would that bother me....NO!!! I would still continue to follow this system regardless.

A view from outside. I think you have to have these kind of standards. Otherwise the art goes in the direction of the McDojo. It also helps protect against fakes which no group needs.

On an individual note, I'd much rather be a purple under somebody who is stingy giving out rank than a brown under someone who passes it out like candy.

Great responses from the instructors at the moons on this thread - good tough group of guys. Great comments overall.

One last thing I didn't see referenced. Eddie I bet if you asked your instructor about it JJM would totally back your standards and give good advice on it. All the Machados have dealt with it with varying degress of success and failure.

Rock on guys and represent. Eddie's seminars are da bomb and am waiting for all the future work/books, etc. like the rest of you.

Array

School
    10th Planet - Hollywood
    Not too tough. No reason that someone can't work around those two options
    ?:^)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112