Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Leg* lol

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grooms View Post
    Kneebars should be legal also... its much harder to break a knee than an arm imo.
    agreed.

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    All these rules are making me nervous.... My guess is I'm probably going to get DQ'ed at some point oh well tho shit happens.

Array

School
    Striker Fight Center
    IBJJF Rules state "Cervical Lock (without the choke)" is forbidden for Blue and Purple belts, so I'm guessing no Twister in Gi competition under IBJJF rules. I suppose that also means no Side Control to Crucifix to then S-Grip the head for a tap. Would be nice if I'm simply mis-interpreting what the rules are stating!
    Last edited by Mark Holloway; 08-14-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Array

School
    Stallion Gym / Arte Suave Stuttgart
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    IBJJF Rules state "Cervical Lock (without the choke)" is forbidden for Blue and Purple belts, so I'm guessing no Twister in Gi competition under IBJJF rules.
    Could you then perhaps twister someone with one hand while rape choking him with the other?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    IBJJF Rules state "Cervical Lock (without the choke)" is forbidden for Blue and Purple belts, so I'm guessing no Twister in Gi competition under IBJJF rules. I suppose that also means no Side Control to Crucifix to then S-Grip the head for a tap. Would be nice if I'm simply mis-interpreting what the rules are stating!
    Your interpretation is correct. The only time you can do a cervical lock is if you have him in a triangle.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I get frustrated that I can't play with a lot of cool moves. I really love the bicep crusher from spiderweb, and can not use it, for example. But to be honest, the guys in my gym will let me attempt all of them except the heelhook if I let them know in advance that I may, and I understand why every single one is illegal. Just to play devil's advocate (because I actually do wish some of this was allowed), here are some counter points:

Toeholds, leglocks, and kneebars target the knee. The reasons the knee is different from the arm are strength, flexibility, and sensitivity. Your knee is way stronger, so it can take way more pressure. So by the time the guy gets a lock tight on your knee, he is pulling his ass off, with less control than an armbar by far. Your elbow is more flexible, allowing more distance between the feeling of pain and the snap, and more sensitive, allowing more time between the same. Also, recovery for a knee takes much longer, the injury is far more debilitating, and way more likely to leave permanent lasting pain and immobility.

The bicep/calf crushes are the most annoying for me, but I understand. I have seen from both ends how easy it is to literally crush a bicep into tearing, or snap the arm with that move. It just tightens up so quickly, and often doesn't hurt all that bad right up until the injury. Also many of the same problems with knees vs elbows apply to calfs vs biceps. Plus many calf crushers come very close to, or do attack the knee at the same time. I think we could let these rules go, but at the same time I don't want some over-excited blue belt who just learned the move to take me out of competition for a year.

Slam from Guard is obvious, and cervical locks are understandable (a broken neck wouldn't go over too well).

What the hell is their definition of scissor takedown again? Because I know that doesn't mean a scissor sweep.

One other point about a comment above: You can not do a neck crank, even from triangle. People get away with it in triangles, head/arms, guillotines and rncs because you can't tell if it's a choke or a crank, and you can defend the choke by turning into the crank instead. But you are not supposed to crank the neck in the gi, period, and doing so is without a doubt dirty unless your opponent agrees beforehand. I like to train with it nogi, but I don't want to go home every single day unable to turn my neck to the side, so I train without it in the gi.

K Madden

Kneebars should be legal also... its much harder to break a knee than an arm imo.
    ... and what's the difference between a kneebar and an armbar? Its just bs over regulation.
    You have a LOT to learn if that is the case. Holy crap, you have a lot to learn. You are the reason why lower ranks cannot use these. If you don't understand the difference, you need to start asking a whooooole lot more questions while in class.
    Last edited by K Madden; 08-15-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Array

School
    Ribeiro Jiujitsu

banana split

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I'm gonna assume they're not. Probably considered a leg lock. Better to ask first than pull it off and get DQ'd.

Rules are meant to keep people safe. I know how you feel, but understand their perspective. On your end you're thinking "but I know a ton of subs, and they're limiting my options."

Truth is they eliminate more accidents by getting rid of things like heel hooks, compression locks, banana splits, crotch rippers from lower belt classes. Yeah it'd be more fun to be able to roll with everything, but at the same time, I wouldn't trust another white belt (or blue belt) to know not to tear my friggin groin apart if they caught me in a banana split. He'd probably get so excited to be there that he's go full blast while i need PT for 3 months. Or I'd hate to blow a guy's knee out if I have a calf slicer and they're too stubborn to tap cuz they can handle the pain.

The rules are there for a reason, whether we like it or not. Better safe than sorry. Just a thought.
    Good Morning!

I am also not sure with the banana split. Based on the rules found on IBJJF rule book.
    Submission techniques stretching legs apart are allowed except for ages 4-12. That sounds like a banana split to me.

Has anyone confirmed this?

thanks,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123