Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    The only place I know with a really structured jiu jitsu teaching program is the Gracie Academy in Torrance and its affiliates. They actually post a calendar that lets you know what lesson will be taught on what day. The content of each lesson matches the content of that lesson on the DVD and if you were to go to an Gracie Academy affiliate anywhere in the world, Lesson "12" would be essentially the same everywhere.

Personally I think that approach works great for beginners and probably gets them up to speed very quickly. In most other jiu jitsu schools you could learn 3 or 4 advanced submission techniques without evening knowing basic stuff like how to pass the guard. Depending on your learning style, a structured teaching program can be very beneficial.

However, I think after a few years of training, its a lot more fun to have an unorganized program. I love that the fact that I'm constantly learning new stuff at Marcelo's academy. There are no limitations to what he can teach. There's no set in stone guidelines that Marcelo must follow. The same goes for 10th Planet. From what I can tell, there isn't a single jiu jitsu technique that isn't part of 10th Planet. You never know what Eddie is going to teach from week to week and I think that is exciting for students who have been training for several years.

I honestly don't understand how people can study something like Bikrahm Yoga for 10 years and do the same 26 postures in the same sequence over and over with nothing new ever. That would bore me to tears....

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    I usually like to teach in sequence where we explore the possible routes, take a brief minute to explain the options, then stick to one route for the purposes of drilling. For ex. I was recently working off the sprawl, so ur guy shoots in, you sprawl, then what? So many things to do, I always start with taking the back to the RNC, everyone has to have that route down. Then you can play with guillotines, darces, peruvian neckties, gator rolls, etc. OR you can hit the Desouza, Chevy, Ford, Mitsubishi, whatever the fuck will get you to the Truck and play a much different game from there. Sometimes going step by step thru similar moves can get boring tho, so every now and again it's nice to throw in an advanced sub and watch the students work thru it, I think it really helps. I wasn't hitting any go-go platas, calf-cranks or twisters during my initial training but I'd try them out and get the numbers in until one day...Voila...there it was. Eddie teaches the same 3 moves for 2 weeks, always has, not only does it cover the spread of student attendance which can be quite scattered throughout the week, but it really adds a functional weapon to your arenal. You can go into battle with a dull blade or sharpen it up and disembowel your enemies, your choice.

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    Not an instructor, but some input:

Our school does monthly focuses like "Guard passing month"
    "Side control month" "Closed guard month" etc and definitely
    does chain moves and transitions together. This lets you come
    in day after day and refresh the old while working on some new
    as well. Guess it depends on the mind of the instructor.

We also have separate classes for beginner, advanced, and all levels
    with no price variation. I guess I'm saying those school do exist,
    they may just be few and far between.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    With the schools I have been too and in my classes I teach there is a set guide on what the class is. I Personally teach in chains. 2-3 step chains for white belts and more options for the blue and above.

Dustin C.

Thanks for the input all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12