Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wilcken View Post
    I have a 100 pound sandbag that I made (surplus store rucksack, hefty bags, playground sand < $20). I squeeze it between my knees and whip it up. I focus on using my core and my legs and only use my arms to "steer" the bag up and to the side. I also focus on an explosive lift and try to get my sacrum all the way off the ground. Helped my lockdown game (especially the whip up) tremendously. I rep it now mainly for core strength.
    This sounds like an awesome idea.

Array

School
    Boxing Works
    When I first started 10th Planet it was also from MTRG. I used to grab a pool noodle for practicing the lockdown, and wrapped a belt around my shoulders like a head and arm to give me something to do the jaws of life on. But thats pretty basic stuff, and it won't take you too far.

For solo drilling, i find it best for learning new moves, putting the steps together and smoothing them out so you don't need to think. You can also do a lot of reps, so when it comes time to train with a partner, you only need to add the tactile feel to it.

It's also good for linking moves together. I'd whip up for old school, assume that they post the foot and start to work your secondary options
    - weight back into you = plan b
    - can underhook the leg = electric chair etc.

A lot of the game is just being a step ahead and knowing where you're going

When you start to add more moves, the ones which have bigger motions tend to work better
    - electric chair
    - using the dip set, swinging between electric chair and dog fight

Micro movements are good (like grabbing the foot for old school), but gross motor movements are easier to do (whip up) for solo drilling.

That being said, sometimes breaking each step down and drilling it hundreds of times really makes it automatic (grab that foot, grab that foot, grab that foot)

And learning/practicing moves that are similar helps too
    - old school
    - boa
    - dog fight to half and half

That way, when you drill one, you're getting some cross over skill transfer.

Maybe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12