Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kimura defense

Array

School
    Team Endurance

kimura defense

hey guys, quick question... i seem to keep getting stuck in kimuras when im on top in half guard. My partner will go for the kimura, i try to bring my arm to his body, and control his body and turn my wrist and step over to take his back, but then i end up getting straight armbared. its frustrating! lol someone help! (=

Array

School
    Pure MMA + NextGen Liverpool
    I think this is covered in one of the latest MTS. You can hit the vaporizer from here, or pass to a far side armbar, if my memory serves me correctly...

Array

School
    Team Endurance
    cool, ill have to look into that. It seems like as soon as i pass, he starts to arm bar me. The only otherthing ive tried, is kinda stalling in a arm triangle when they posture up, but thats more when im in full guard...

Array

School
    Team Endurance
    and it seems if i go one way or another i still get my arm cranked.., maybe instead of passing to take the back, I should pass to mount? Would you happen to rememeber which mts it was in?

This is 100% money for a Kimura defense out of guard, half or side mount when you're on top. Simple, effective, easy.

Try it out. You'll be surprised at how easy it is. Just one hand on the hip for leverage and the hand getting kimura'd just swims in at their wrists and you end up subbing them if they don't let go.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Justin's video is usually my go to defense. It's tough to do if you let your arm get away from you but usually, for most kimura setups, it works well and most people will back out of their attempt once they feel the torque.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    If you are fighting someone much bigger, or someone with great kimuras, or if don't feel comfortable with that move, I saw a video by Rener and Ryron on how Ralek beat Sakuraba, and how he focused on kimura defense. Basically, he would just drop that shoulder to the mat and put his weight on it, so that Saku could not free the hand. Then he would slowly work the pass.

I like to go a little heavy on the kimura arm (be careful not to over-commit or you can be swept) and use the other hand to pry the knee, rather than the hip. Think of the basic pass from 1/2-G when you turn towards the legs (like TSC except from 1/2-G). Just walk the trapped foot up to his butt so that his 1/2-G is sitting on your knee like a ledge, push the knee off to free your trapped knee, and then either scorpion tail your trapped leg backward (towards the kimura arm side), or I really like to drive it across into quarter guard and go heavy. Then, you can either use a traditional pass or twister roll.

Does that make sense? I hate trying to write out moves - I always miss something or get really deep in the details so that it is hard to picture. I need to get a video camera.

Array

School
    Team Endurance
    I would love a video. Being bored at work today gives me plenty of time to youtube... any suggestions?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    You always hear it, but the trick is to not get in it. You should be isolating his arms and turning him with pressure. Seperating his arms makes it impossible for him to two on one. If you are framing him to avoid his underhook, immediately address wrist control and beat him with preimptive defense. Its alwasy good to know your way out of shit, better avoid stepping in it altogether.

Array

School
    Team Endurance
    it normally goes, and forgive me if im wrong, the techincal terms im getting used to. But its usally like im on bottom. lockdown, to old school to where im on top, and it seems as if hes latching on to arm as we roll. Once im on top, I try to bring the arm in close to his body to help take the back... but I think Im gunna try the far side arm bar, or what the video shows. This guy is an arm lock guy and he catches me with them all day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast