Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas

Stiff and aching fingers

I've never really had issues with my hands or fingers until I started training in the gi. I've been in the gi now, for about 4 or 5 months. In the past month or so, when I awake in the mornings, my index, middle, and ring fingers hurt, on both hands. I can straighten them out just fine, but making a fist is what hurts. I force myself to make a fist, to try and work it out. Is this a common thing with gi training or do I need to accept the fact that I'm getting old. :P Im only 31, by the way.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Lmfao, both sir. I've done gi on and off since 1992. The soreness you described is an everyday occurance for me (I'm almost 36 now). I have found that no gi rarely causes the same pain aside from a few jammed fingers. I wish I had a better solution for you but all I can suggest is glucosamine chondroiten (sp.?). I also have psoriatic arthritis but most gi players will agree that the grip fighting is the major cause of the soreness. Beleive it or not but I've also found that wd 40 works in a pinch when I don't have bio freeze around for the soreness.

Array

School
    Thanks, Tony. I'll look into that. I guess the excessive video game playing doesn't help either. :P

Array

School
    In my mind
    Bwahaha! Actually, I've found that after a good 2 hour class in the gi, the 360 controller eases some of the pain. At least that's what I tell my wife :-).

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    Bwahaha! Actually, I've found that after a good 2 hour class in the gi, the 360 controller eases some of the pain. At least that's what I tell my wife :-).
    haha, I should try that line. Doubt it will work though. In her eyes, if I'm touching the 360 controller, I better be firing up Netflix, so she can watch Lost.