Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Taking away the angle is a HUGE "what if". If you spin or attempt to roll out of the Omaplata, that doesn't make it a counter for you, it makes it a sweep for me. If you’re trying to block with your elbow and pass to side control, the Carni is there. You’re basing an entire counter on "pain compliance" which has a huge scale of effectiveness. Submissions, sweeps, escapes need to be based on functionality and frequency. If the foundation of a techniques is based on pain you will have varied results, consistency will be unreliable at best. An entire series of counters on “I hope he reacts to this” is like building a house on soggy ground. None of the “what ifs” will matter if they don’t respond to the “pain compliance” you’re attempt to gain a reaction from.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it won't work. I'm stating you must ask yourself will this work with most people, most of the time? In my experince with pain compliance techniques the answer is "no", the levels of response vary far too greatly.
    Yes, this works for most people. Ultimately I don't want to get caught in a submission from RG. If I have to force someone to choose a different path to catch me, that's what I'm looking for. I've gotten nothing but good feedback from those I've shown in person, and there are a few on this board that have had success with it. Will it work to open your RG up, maybe not but I'm not just going to give you the path to a sub. Instead, I'll keep you tipped upside-down, constantly applying downward pressure while your oxygen decreases, and you say, "damn this sucks". All the while i'm just Tri-podding.

I know it seems as if it wouldn't work, but again I've been doing this for over 2 years and I've had nothing but success. I want to be proven otherwise and i wanted to give others an option, hence the video. Trust me, if I felt it didn't work, I wouldn't have made it for the world to see.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesguy View Post
    working well for me,look forward to your future vids rick .
    That's awesome James! Thank you!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Do you have a timeline for when you are going to bust out the other videos or is it just when you can get to it. Jw
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Let me just jump in as devils advocate here and back Herzog's opinion on "pain-compliant" techniques not being effective 100% of the time. Granted, you don't want to "goon" anything or look for a forced reaction, you wanna hit your path with clean technique, makes sense. I can also see what Rick means though when he says it's been working for 2 years, proof is in the pudding, eh? So that I would say that although it is a technique reliant on pain to succeed initially, that attack can be developed, much like you do for your RNC squeeze for example, so that over time you have a larger scale of success with it, because you put the numbers in I think that's the wonderful think about Jits, it's that given enough mat time spent on any single technique you can really develop what works for you and thus raise the success rates on moves people couldn't normally apply effectively.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Do you have a timeline for when you are going to bust out the other videos or is it just when you can get to it. Jw
    Brent man, I was gonna do it this week but I threw my back out on Monday.. I think I did at least. Wasn't able to leave the gym by the amount of pain I had. I'm recovering, but remember--- stretch before jits. I will never ever grapple again without stretching my back, arms, legs and neck for warm up.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Compella View Post
    Let me just jump in as devils advocate here and back Herzog's opinion on "pain-compliant" techniques not being effective 100% of the time. Granted, you don't want to "goon" anything or look for a forced reaction, you wanna hit your path with clean technique, makes sense. I can also see what Rick means though when he says it's been working for 2 years, proof is in the pudding, eh? So that I would say that although it is a technique reliant on pain to succeed initially, that attack can be developed, much like you do for your RNC squeeze for example, so that over time you have a larger scale of success with it, because you put the numbers in I think that's the wonderful think about Jits, it's that given enough mat time spent on any single technique you can really develop what works for you and thus raise the success rates on moves people couldn't normally apply effectively.
    Wise is Compella!! Thank you. I see your point and Herzog's. I wasn't trying to say it was a be all end all, but I knew it worked quite well and was at least worth a look. I see a lot of RG breaks on the net, but some of them are wishful thinking.

Hey BTW, waiting for my buddy to contact me back with the info. I know he's fighting over there so if I dont catch him via Skype, I'll see him when he gets back to the states.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    I just want to point out how bad ass it is that there is a website where I can watch a couple of brown belts debate jiu-jitsu theory!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    I just want to point out how bad ass it is that there is a website where I can watch a couple of brown belts debate jiu-jitsu theory!
    I was gonna start an entirely new thread about just that Andrew! But you beat me to posting. Yup it's the depth of knowledge and openness here that makes this forum very unique. What other sites are like this? The underground, Sherdog? Maybe, but then the threads go to crap after a while.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Brent man, I was gonna do it this week but I threw my back out on Monday.. I think I did at least. Wasn't able to leave the gym by the amount of pain I had. I'm recovering, but remember--- stretch before jits. I will never ever grapple again without stretching my back, arms, legs and neck for warm up.
    OUCH. Back injuries are the worst. Heal up brotha!
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Zombie BJJ - RMNU
    Dude...this is awesome....it went like this:

Now it's time for the 2 coasts to battle!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast