Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Not very evil. Effective but not evil
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    To me, this looks very similar to the shield 1/2-guard we play at my gym (with or without gi), aka Robson Moura's 93 guard. The only difference seems to be that you have your outside foot inside as a butterfly, instead of on the hip.

The reason we use our foot on the hip is to make it harder to "smash" the guard. In other words, getting your weight behind the knee like you showed. The problem is that it is too easy for a good top player to either do that, or use the threat to weave inside the knee and go heavy, like your opponent did in the match. He didnt get the pass, but he did get passed that part of the guard a few times.

The other advantage of having the foot on the hip is in transitions and sweeps. For example, in the omoplata you showed (I think you went to a carni or gogo or something), it's nice to avoid having to deal with the trapped butterfly hook. And if he manages to switch you to the other side (much harder to do at this point), it's still easy to stick in the butterfly for the switch.

Play around with the foot on the hip if you haven't already. It really closes off that side to the guy on top, forcing him to try to go away from the shield, and your arm on his shoulder/head makes that a nightmare. Or, just let me know why you like the foot inside, if you have already been through this.

Thanks Rick!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    word. just like football, its only legal if your arm is already extended when applying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    To me, this looks very similar to the shield 1/2-guard we play at my gym (with or without gi), aka Robson Moura's 93 guard. The only difference seems to be that you have your outside foot inside as a butterfly, instead of on the hip.

The reason we use our foot on the hip is to make it harder to "smash" the guard. In other words, getting your weight behind the knee like you showed. The problem is that it is too easy for a good top player to either do that, or use the threat to weave inside the knee and go heavy, like your opponent did in the match. He didnt get the pass, but he did get passed that part of the guard a few times.

The other advantage of having the foot on the hip is in transitions and sweeps. For example, in the omoplata you showed (I think you went to a carni or gogo or something), it's nice to avoid having to deal with the trapped butterfly hook. And if he manages to switch you to the other side (much harder to do at this point), it's still easy to stick in the butterfly for the switch.

Play around with the foot on the hip if you haven't already. It really closes off that side to the guy on top, forcing him to try to go away from the shield, and your arm on his shoulder/head makes that a nightmare. Or, just let me know why you like the foot inside, if you have already been through this.

Thanks Rick!
    Awesome input Harry. I do play around with the foot on the hip too, but good leg lockers will sometimes toil with this and try to grab the toe hold.

Yes indeed, use this in conjunction with the 93, and it makes for some interesting guard offense and defense.. I really do think it's a guard that plays to all my strengths. I'm a butterfly guy, so the one shield in, foot in the crotch, makes the transition into and out of butterfly very smooth. The butterfly attacks are key to my game as I get the arm drags, the heel hooks, and the inverted arm bars off of it.

I'm getting all the inverted stuff in there now so in the event I do get passed, I'll be able to see the world upside down for sweeps and what not.

It looks similar to Caio's type of guard as well but the foot is in the crotch in my case. Caio's sets up more of the terra guard, where what I show encompasses many guards. Also, you'll notice I use the bottom to hook the close leg, or far leg depending on the situation. One last thing is, with the guard you explain, it's only good on one side. I'll transition seamlessly from one side to the other.

I really appreciate your feedback. I really hope the stuff I put out at least opens one person's mind to different possibilities. The fact that you are giving your feedback, I'm at least getting you to ponder on it all.
    Thank you so much Harry!

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Thanks Rick. Solid answers. I'm a butterfly player too, threatening a lot of hooks sweeps and such, so I'll play with your way in the next few days.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    Thanks Rick. Solid answers. I'm a butterfly player too, threatening a lot of hooks sweeps and such, so I'll play with your way in the next few days.
    Cool Harry! I can't wait to hear about the outcome. Lemme know if I can help with anything. My guess is I'll be asking you how to pass here shortly... You have a good understanding of it already!

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    i have really been doing the same regarding controlling the head over the last 6 months. its a HUGE detail that i think isn't pushed enough.
    Same here. Since Ari posted a video from a Frank Mir seminar awhile back I've been developing that straight arm on the head or armpit as they transition through. It's been immensely helpful in tons of positions (fighting a single, retaining a knee reap, etc) so I can imagine how useful it can be in Rick's technique.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Same here. Since Ari posted a video from a Frank Mir seminar awhile back I've been developing that straight arm on the head or armpit as they transition through. It's been immensely helpful in tons of positions (fighting a single, retaining a knee reap, etc) so I can imagine how useful it can be in Rick's technique.
    Hey AJ, that straight arm to the pit is great for that side control escape too. That pimp hand works wonders!

Array

School
    In my mind
    Still working the rubber stamp. I've added this to our routine and it was eventually bustin all my guys rubber guards including mine. I had a Gracie black belt come in whose 10th planet crushes mine. So I hit the Slickstamp and he looks at me like...nice try. I never got it to work a single time in an hour. This guy is 6'6" and weighs 310 plus enjoys pain. He wanted to revert to Rick's mentioned positions but he would just grunt and crush me tighter or elbow me to clear the head. We've all had success with the Slickstamp and I beleive it works in alot of situations. Hell why not at least try to bust rg with it? If it works...great. If not, simply flow like a boss to your other options.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    Still working the rubber stamp. I've added this to our routine and it was eventually bustin all my guys rubber guards including mine. I had a Gracie black belt come in whose 10th planet crushes mine. So I hit the Slickstamp and he looks at me like...nice try. I never got it to work a single time in an hour. This guy is 6'6" and weighs 310 plus enjoys pain. He wanted to revert to Rick's mentioned positions but he would just grunt and crush me tighter or elbow me to clear the head. We've all had success with the Slickstamp and I beleive it works in alot of situations. Hell why not at least try to bust rg with it? If it works...great. If not, simply flow like a boss to your other options.
    Beautiful! Vivid with details. I've tried it against our 6'4-6'5 Dylan, but he's a good 230. Freaks of nature are hard to come by in jits, and aren't usually flexible like that doing RG... But I feel your pain. Just test and keep moving... On the flipside, did you at least stall him out to avoid getting caught?

Thanks Tony!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Any of the other videos in the works?
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast