Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Umad?

I agree though. If you know the rules, you gotta play by the rules. If you don't know the rules, that's your own fault. What I'm learning about this is that it's not so much a grappling tourney as much as it's a BJJ comp without the gi. Makes sense. It's not ADCC. It's not Sambo. It's not NAGA. It's not submission wrestling. It's no gi BJJ. So if the IBJJF is running it, expect IBJJF rules.

I think the 10th fellas have learned an important lesson and will have more success next year using the rules to their advantage.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    Blaming the rules like people are doing is just so stupid.

Rafa Mendes reaps the shit out of knees when competing in ADCC, watch his matches against Cobrinha. That doesn't stop him from winning under IBJJF rules. It's called being intelligent and knowing what you're doing with your own body. Saying the rules don't allow for this evolved jiu jitsu is patting yourselves on the back a little too much.

Also, the electric chair could definitely be considered a leg lock at blue belt. I've watched it tear ACL's so don't say the move has no potential for leg injury.

Next, don't criticize ppl for winning. It's not a "traditional" mindset, to score and protect your lead. It occurs in basically all sports. Just because you think it's cooler to sacrifice position than to preserve your advancement doesn't mean you've evolved the sport. It means you're losing on points.

It's never going to help the system by responding with these ridiculous criticisms of strategy and rules. It's still a level playing field between 2 individuals, just get better.
    Yea all you blues n purples, listen to this white belt, get better O.o ahaha

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    It's still a level playing field between 2 individuals, just get better.
    Eh, it's not really much of a level playing field if you take away a guy's tools. But at the same time, if a kickboxer signs up for a boxing match, he can't complain that things would be different if kicks were allowed. So I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Yea all you blues n purples, listen to this white belt, get better O.o ahaha
    Well... He's one of the white belts that have a valid point. I agree with his statements he made on his post.

doesnt have anthing to do with being white belt, blue or whatever belt.

Array

School
    I agree with some of it, but going on here n saying people are basically ignorant who compete at a higher level is ignorant on itself. If its so obvious and you know so much more than y are u still a white belt? Not tryna troll or even offend you, that's just my perspective.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    As a white belt let me say.......pooop (yes 3 o's were needed) this thread makes me feel really good about this past weekend. I use grappling tourneys as a gauge of sorts to how i would do on the ground in the cage I'm sub hungry, plain and simple. I lost my div. (int) to a 300 + lb wrestler that took me down ( 2-0) but while on my back i got a tri attempt (btw has anyone here tried to triangle a barn? tips tricks? something lol) went straight to teepee and had big boy weezin i got my middle and ring fingers to lock (s-grip) thats it. He wouldn't tap, and my grip sucked so i went to arm bar from there he defended it very well. AKA elbow in my taint. and time ran out. I know this seems off topic, but like Bobby is sayin, We are mma based, if i was fighting tubsy in the cage and what i wrote was round 1 i can bet safely that he would try to stand that 2nd round. I love tourneys but i also know what i'm in for.I also know next tourney for me will be sub only US Grappling here i come.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    I may get punched in the nuts for saying this, but Jared has some valid points. We are playing "their" game and by "their" rules using "our" strategies. Someone made a point about how fun it would be beating them at their own game, and we did didn't we? We had some gold and silvers right? It's okay that we didn't take home every gold and silver in every division, although that's a strong possibility now that a stronger wrestling and S&C program will be implemented. We're always going to be progressing and improving as a team and system. Isn't innovation, improvement and open-mindedness at the very core of the 10th Planet philosophy? I don't feel defeated in the slightest bit as a team. If anything, I'm proud of everyone who competed regardless of win or loss.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    I agree with some of it, but going on here n saying people are basically ignorant who compete at a higher level is ignorant on itself. If its so obvious and you know so much more than y are u still a white belt? Not tryna troll or even offend you, that's just my perspective.
    Blaming the rules like people are doing is just so stupid.

Rafa Mendes reaps the shit out of knees when competing in ADCC, watch his matches against Cobrinha. That doesn't stop him from winning under IBJJF rules. It's called being intelligent and knowing what you're doing with your own body. Saying the rules don't allow for this evolved jiu jitsu is patting yourselves on the back a little too much.

It's never going to help the system by responding with these ridiculous criticisms of strategy and rules. It's still a level playing field between 2 individuals, just get better.
    I didn't say anything about them being ignorant, or that I could do what they do better. I'm saying other schools put out competitors that have to play by the same rules. My Mendes example is only one of countless others. Everyone fights differently within the different rule sets. Ryan Hall doesn't go for the 50/50 heel hook when competing in ibjjf and then say it's stupid when he's disqualified. So obviously all high level grapplers have to change their mentality from event to event. My point is that it's ridiculous to complain about the rules that are clearly posted prior to entering, after the event. No offense to anyone that got DQ'd. I also don't believe that 10th planet JJ is somehow at a huge disadvantage under these rules compared to everyone else. Like I stated all high level guys could murder more efficiently outside the IBJJF rule systems, it's not a valid argument, because everyone changes their game.

So yea, I didn't call anyone ignorant and I'm not talking myself up. I was strictly saying that some excuses and points being brought up in THIS thread were more annoying than the Sherdog thread itself.

Array

School
    I didn't say anything about them being ignorant, or that I could do what they do better. I'm saying other schools put out competitors that have to play by the same rules. My Mendes example is only one of countless others. Everyone fights differently within the different rule sets. Ryan Hall doesn't go for the 50/50 heel hook when competing in ibjjf and then say it's stupid when he's disqualified. So obviously all high level grapplers have to change their mentality from event to event. My point is that it's ridiculous to complain about the rules that are clearly posted prior to entering, after the event. No offense to anyone that got DQ'd. I also don't believe that 10th planet JJ is somehow at a huge disadvantage under these rules compared to everyone else. Like I stated all high level guys could murder more efficiently outside the IBJJF rule systems, it's not a valid argument, because everyone changes their game.

So yea, I didn't call anyone ignorant and I'm not talking myself up. I was strictly saying that some excuses and points being brought up in THIS thread were more annoying than the Sherdog thread itself.
    I agree man, ha I had a total misunderstanding of what u were saying

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast