Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    [QUOTE=Ric;101086]
    Quote Originally Posted by rock d View Post
    The feeling I get from Marcelo is that in his heart he has no use for the gi, and he only wears one out of tradition so he doesn't have to be a rebel.

As a Marcelo student who doesn't take Gi class, I've discussed Gi vs No Gi with Marcelo many times. Marcelo definitely likes the Gi and sees no real difference in training with it or without it. As seen on this video showing Marcelo's training camp for the No Gi ADCC competition, Marcelo trains in Gi even when he's preparing for No Gi competition.

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2011/11/...th-adcc-title/
    I find it interesting that you train there and don't take any gi classes. You don't enjoy it? I guess the gi isn't for everyone. However, I find it to be super fun as well, especially if you can train with a legend like Marcelo.

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    I find it interesting that before he says that Wrestling is better for no-gi take downs, he shows a combination move which finishes with (basically) a "valley drop". That's a Judo move for the takedown; I don't think you'll find that combo in many wrestling camps.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hirt View Post
    I find it interesting that before he says that Wrestling is better for no-gi take downs, he shows a combination move which finishes with (basically) a "valley drop". That's a Judo move for the takedown; I don't think you'll find that combo in many wrestling camps.
    He's just showing a technique- that might not be completely related to his wrestling vs judo thoughts.

I've asked him several times- he still feels the most effective takedowns in not only no gi, but gi bjj, are double and single legs.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hirt View Post
    There are a few takedowns that are common to both Judo and Wrestling. The move that Marcelo shows in the video is called a Lateral Drop in Wrestling. I think he is referring to Judo throws that rely on the sleeve/collar/belt etc. that would have to be modified for No-Gi Grappling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234