Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

Anybody read the new Marcelo Garcia Jiu Jitsu Book?

Thinking about getting it. Reviews? Is it both gi and no gi? Thanks.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Oh... Is it out yet? I want Eddie's new book... :'(

Array

School
    na
    definately gonna pick up this one i got his first book and its killer i am expecting nothing less from this

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    I actually got a copy from Marshal Carper, the co-author of the book who also wrote "The Cauliflower Chronicles". The techniques are labeled up on top of the photos as to whether they work for both Gi and No Gi, since some are only Gi techniques. But to answer that question, some of the techniques shown do in fact work for No Gi in addition to Gi.

I'd highly suggest picking up this book, unlike Marcelo's X Guard book, the techniques vary and are extremely insightful, including everything from takedowns to back attacks to breaking guard.

Array

School
    blank
    its solid

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    its got a very good variation of his best techniques. id recommend it. admittedly, you could find a lot of the stuff in it, on his website, but it does include a few gems that you may not find elsewhere.

Hey Louis- worth it. my opinion
    Good material, good instruction. lots of it on his website too.

RW

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Powers View Post
    The techniques are labeled up on top of the photos as to whether they work for both Gi and No Gi, since some are only Gi techniques. But to answer that question, some of the techniques shown do in fact work for No Gi in addition to Gi.
    T o be clear, we ARE talking about Advanced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu by Marcelo Garcia, right? In wich case, I’m looking at the thing right now, and there is no distinction in the top right corner as to gi or no gi like in the X-guard book. He does mention this in the text and wear a rash-guard while showing them. After a quick flip through, I find 3 techniques (could have missed a couple) that are taught specifically no-gi. I love marcelos web-site and X-guard book, but was a little disappointed in this for that reason. That said, while it’s nice to have the techniques separated for me, there is a lot of cool stuff in the remainder of the book that works no –gi, I would have just liked to see exactly how he grips no-gi on many techniques, rather than having to guess.
    No disrespect to Marcelo, as it still is better than most gi books on the market for applying to no-gi, but it’s a gi focused book.
    Just my opinion, feel free to hate

P.S.
    I'll give it a 3/5 for pure no-gi and a 5/5 for pure gi or for both.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Whenever I'm looking for techniques on youtube, if I see a gi in the screenshot, I refuse to watch it. Even if it is a legit no-gi technique, or very easily adapted to no-gi, there's just something really annoying about watching guys grapple in a gi (to me at least). So, I for one will avoid the book for that reason alone.

at first I was dissapointed with all the gi pics, but after reading thru it pretty much the whole book can be used for no gi

besides the bow and arrow choke and a couple arm drags with the gi, even the passes dont require the gi, everything pretty much translates to no gi like the majority of marcelo's game, the book is really good, just the breakdown of back control, seatbelt, rear naked it is worth it, throw in the guillotine info, omoplata's, armdrags, passes, etc...and you will enjoy it IMO