Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weight cutting

Array

School
    Great White BJJ-Wausau Wi
    I'm loosing weight for some Nov/Dec tournys,but I rarely cut water weight. Having said that,I am a heavy sweater and can drop 5-10 lbs at a hard workout...

Array

School
    10th Planet Seongnam
    I never cut weight, and I always get my ass kicked...everyone always seems so much bigger than me for some reason.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    i am just trying to lose weight permanently then see what weight class i fall into right now i weight 225 lbs(300 lbs with the gi....jk)

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    As long as you start cutting 2-3 weeks out it's fairly easy to make it without having to kill yourself. I usually go high protein and less than 100 carbs a day to drop weight. There's a lot of health gurus here though so I'm sure they'd have smarter and healthier recommendations that would ensure that you retained your muscle mass.
    This is exactly what I do for cutting. The most I've ever cut was about 15-16 lbs for a jiu jitsu tournament... but now i usually compete at weight or cut 5-10 pounds depending on how big the tournament is.

I cut 11 in about 3 weeks and have 4 more to go... It sucks, and I'm probably not going to do this again. Who knows. I think I'm sitting at about 3% body fat and every pound lost is a struggle.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I will cut down from 200 to 170 for a fight but for jj 179.9 for me I try to stay around 185 to make 170. It all depends on how long you have been cutting and how much time you have. Generally you want your body to acclimate to about 10 pounds from the weight about a week out. and leave that last ten or so for the last week and leave 3-5 for the day of weigh ins. Your body can go without food for quite a while but you cant rehydrate you muscle if you cut to much water out. I usually eat one meal a day the week of weigh ins if I have to cut a lot. But I have an unlimited amout of water. Water cuts more than five pounds arent worth it. I learned from my dad how would still be wrestling today if he didnt have 3 fused vertabre in his neck. He has it down to a science and I just tell him how much weight and how long and he tells me what to do.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by C. R. Lovitt View Post
    I cut 11 in about 3 weeks and have 4 more to go... It sucks, and I'm probably not going to do this again. Who knows. I think I'm sitting at about 3% body fat and every pound lost is a struggle.
    Be carefully with that low of a % anything below 5% can be dangerous to your health. The level of strength, speed, etc wont matter between ten pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by josh passini View Post
    Be carefully with that low of a % anything below 5% can be dangerous to your health. The level of strength, speed, etc wont matter between ten pounds.
    Yeah, the thing is - I'm weighing 159 and the weight class is 155... Hopefully I can do the sauna technique and make weight for this tournament next weekend.

Cheers.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    For me, I only weigh 140-145lbs, for the upcomming tournament their cut off for the weight i want to compete in is 139.9 The reason i am looking to cut down to that range is because since i'll be in the adult division i may end up going against someone who is 25 or more pounds heavier than me. idk, i guess for my circumstance personally it'd work better for me in the long run.

Dustin C.

you might find this interesting i know i did http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast