Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu

Gracie Street Defense for women - Effective or Useless?

What do you guys think about this? Kinda skeptical mainly because a women might get a false sense of security after doing this but on the flip side could also see it as being somewhat useful.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    Alguns que útil.
    Melhor que nada.

Better than nothing.
    Take this along with a lot of other stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    They must of made a killing just sellling all those gis, which look nice btw.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

I would only rape someone with a Gi on.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    My wife's boss attends these and invited us to a class at the end of the month. Should be interesting

Nothing in the course is Gi dependent. Most of it is stand-up disengagement and guard get-ups.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I haven't seen a break down of what the program covers but I'll bet its essentially Gracie Combatives with some (minor) differences in presentation. Just as the Gracie Bullyproof program, which is aimed at children, is basically Gracie Combatitves with some modifications.

I've yet to see a female self defense program that addresses hair pulling, even though every female fight I've ever seen (on You Tube, etc) has involved a lot of hair pulling.

Array

School
    In my mind
    I couldn't agree more with Ric. I have taught fifteen women's self defense courses over the years and personally attended well over sixty. I'd venture to say at least 80% of the instructors never even worked on ground techniques. When I would question the usefulness of proper guard escapes, etc., I was always hushed. I have even heard numerous instructors say "do not allow the fight to get to the ground!". Seriously? When I began teachimg my own, I made it a point to tell all the women that there's a very high percentage that you will end up on your back and on the ground. Your hair will get pulled, and your air will probably be cut off by a crude choke. Women need to see the reality of the entire scenario. I taught an upa escape with the lady trapping an arm from the hair pull position. Good point about the hair pulling Ric ;-).

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I learned a sweet ass arm break from a hair pull years ago from somewhere. If they are pulling you're hair you know exactly where their wrist is over your head. Grab double wrist control, roll your elbow over the top and drop your weight. Pretty brutal Segal shit. Im pretty sure it was the best move I learned from Akido, because of its applicability to cat fights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast