Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown

Array

School
    Griphouse, Glasgow, Scotland
    Haha no I agree. I referee at some local comps here though and the situation has never come up. Saying that I've not saw anyone playing lockdown in comps here. With Sean Bollinger visiting Scotland soon for the first Scottish seminar though that might be about to change. Some people I've done it to here just look confused and will just stare at their leg as if to say "what the hell are you doing?", it's quite funny.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    I remember in a MTS they said Amir from HQ tapped someone to a lockdown in comp

Array

School
    Griphouse, Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah forgot about that. It was one of the earlier ones, I think 3 or 4.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Ya definately an early one

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Nothing screams newb more than tapping to lockdown. No offense.
    This.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    Hi,

After getting Eddie's Jiu Jitsu Unleashed I tried out the half-guard Lockdown in class today on an unsuspecting training partner - it's pretty sweet. When I straightened my legs he yelled in pain and tapped immediately - is this normal? It's a calf slicer, but the Jiu Jitsu Unleashed book doesn't mention it can tap people out?

Does it work like this for everybody, or is it just me? I got him to do it to me and it didn't hurt, so do I have extra-sharp shin bones or something?

Thanks for the help in advance guys

BrianinLondon
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    When you slap the lockdown onto someone that has never had it done to them it totally fucks with them. That's a good thing that your lockdown is that tight, it should be. As far as a submission it's just pain and your training partners will get used to it.
    This. I've had a few lockdowns put on and a really tight one sucks. If I didn't know what a lockdown was, I might tap just from the sudden inexplicable pain. I tap before full pain sets in to avoid injury. But since I know what a lockdown is, it's just uncomfortable.

True.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Exactly. Usually really green guys will tap to anything that puts a slight bit of discomfort on their body. I know if I didn't know what someone was doing and it hurt I tapped. These guys will learn what kind of leverage you're able to put on certain moves and won't tap to this anymore. Really the lockdown is a very mild "calf slicer". Unless you spin (which people do) you're not goin to get hurt from the lockdown.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Ill agree with that Bobby. I've been using lockdown as my go to half guard for the better part of 4 years now and Ive only gotten maybe 10 taps from it and I think Ive been suprised I tapped the guy every time. I also specialize in calf crushes and have ultra sharp shin bones. So we are looking at 10 taps in maybe 4000 attempts...lol. I use it as more of a 'lever' to control the right side of my opponents body. I use whip up to shift their weight and get under their hips for electric chairs, deep half etc. Also...its not an illegal technique in gi...i use it all the time for sweeps.

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    agreed, and bony legs ftw

Roger Myers II

I have been using this a lot! I am digging it. I hit the electric chair on 2 people last week. Very effective.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast