Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    I love when i secure lockdown on someone who's never had it done to them and yea they either tap, or they wince in pain and look back at ur legs all crazy like wtf?? But yea if ur tapping to lockdown u got alot more things to be worried about, than just the lockdown.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Nothing screams newb more than tapping to lockdown. No offense.
    Sorry Bobby, but I have a guy who is 6'5" and weighs 320 lbs. I'm 5'10" 195 lbs. He also wears a size 16 shoe. He's only been grappling for a month, but when we're rolling and he hits a lockdown It's such an amazing amount of pain. I have no option but to tap. He can muscle me into position lol. Just sayin .

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    Martin - I think he was saying the position is legal as a half guard, but applying it as a 'calf slice' is not. Looking at some rules on web -

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/rulesibjjf1stedition.pdf

For a calf slice you have to be brown belt or black.
    Have my first tournement coming up in a few weeks, and this has me worried. It seems like its legal as a position but illegal as a submission. If this is the case, I'd be risking getting disqualified every time I got half guard if my opponent didn't know what it was, freaked out, and tapped. Hell, even of the guy new what lock down was, he could just tap and bitch to the ref that I was calf slicing him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Just using the lockdown to hold half guard or sweep is totally legal

Array

School
    Griphouse, Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    Just using the lockdown to hold half guard or sweep is totally legal
    This. But if your worried then clear it with the referee first. If someone tapped from a lockdown I wouldn't disqualify the person using it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrick2 View Post
    This. But if your worried then clear it with the referee first. If someone tapped from a lockdown I wouldn't disqualify the person using it.
    He's right u should ask at the rules meeting just to be on the safe side

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Love the lockdown.

Would even go as far to say its a great starting point for someone just starting jiu jitsu.

Dont make the mistake many make though and through its overall effectiveness be fooled into thinking its the only game to play from half guard; it isnt and when people get good at wrecking your lockdown you will want to have other avenues, so dont limit yourself to a lockdown only approach.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    Sorry Bobby, but I have a guy who is 6'5" and weighs 320 lbs. I'm 5'10" 195 lbs. He also wears a size 16 shoe. He's only been grappling for a month, but when we're rolling and he hits a lockdown It's such an amazing amount of pain. I have no option but to tap. He can muscle me into position lol. Just sayin .
    on the real tony keep your eyes on your fb imma be hitttin ya up soon planning to visit soon after the allentown seminar got comps and fights on the way. I want to meet your giant! lol

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Have my first tournement coming up in a few weeks, and this has me worried. It seems like its legal as a position but illegal as a submission. If this is the case, I'd be risking getting disqualified every time I got half guard if my opponent didn't know what it was, freaked out, and tapped. Hell, even of the guy new what lock down was, he could just tap and bitch to the ref that I was calf slicing him.
    That seems unlikely to me. Besides I'd rather be disqualified for using the lockdown than be the guy who won by tapping to a lockdown. That's almost as bad as Art Jimmerson tapping out to being mounted.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamGunter View Post
    on the real tony keep your eyes on your fb imma be hitttin ya up soon planning to visit soon after the allentown seminar got comps and fights on the way. I want to meet your giant! lol
    Nah bro this dude ain't for you. I got this guy who I would love to see you waste though. He drops in about
    once a month and just smashes me. He says he's a fourth degree black under a Gracie affiliate in New York. I've not found his name on bjjtree.com or any videos, comp records, or anything. The thing is his technique is so good, I got no counter to it. My shoulder and back only allow me to go max of 70%. I just can't hang with him. This guy even called out Eddie on facebook the other day! He's almost as big as my giant lol.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast