Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

Review of the 10th Planet Riverside tournament DVD

I just received and watch the DVD of the 10th Planet Riverside tournament. I wanted the DVD to see what those guys were playing in Cali this days. See the tread for a free DVD here: http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...ide-tournament

There was a good amount of rubber guard, one calf crank (even though the rules meeting debatably made it illegal when they said no other leg locks than straight Achilles and knee bar).

The highlight match was probably “Freakizoid” vs “Slick Rick”. I was interested in Freak’s apparent unwillingness to secure New York. I was wondering if this was an attempt at avoiding Rick’s “Rubber Stamp” or just a part if his game, as I saw him play this way against someone else too. Is the “Rubber Stamp” making that big of an impact over there? I’ve never felt a good one.

The DVD had a main menu and everything. There were multiple camera angles, shots of hands raised, and extra’s like people rolling with Sean afterwards. It was very professionally done.

Big thanks to David Tice (AKA 10th Planet Riverside on the forums) for putting this together!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Is there any way you can post any of the matches?

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    I just received and watch the DVD of the 10th Planet Riverside tournament. I wanted the DVD to see what those guys were playing in Cali this days. See the tread for a free DVD here: http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...ide-tournament

There was a good amount of rubber guard, one calf crank (even though the rules meeting debatably made it illegal when they said no other leg locks than straight Achilles and knee bar).

The highlight match was probably “Freakizoid” vs “Slick Rick”. I was interested in Freak’s apparent unwillingness to secure New York. I was wondering if this was an attempt at avoiding Rick’s “Rubber Stamp” or just a part if his game, as I saw him play this way against someone else too. Is the “Rubber Stamp” making that big of an impact over there? I’ve never felt a good one.

The DVD had a main menu and everything. There were multiple camera angles, shots of hands raised, and extra’s like people rolling with Sean afterwards. It was very professionally done.

Big thanks to David Tice (AKA 10th Planet Riverside on the forums) for putting this together!!!
    +1

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post

OMG and wow Brian! What a great job on your review! Have you considered going professional with commentaries on tournaments and instructionals! Hey I bet you could give good review on instructionals. I'll loan you a few to review. Seriously, though, thanks so much Brian for your great helpful comments. Would you like more of future 10th Planet Riverside tournaments?

By the way my fellow grapplers we are having another grappling tournament Sat. Feb. 11th at 10th Riverside open to all 10th Planet schools. Be there early Sat. morning. This last one was just for Vista and 10th Riverside.

At any rate the whole idea of the tournament was to help get people use to competing in a tournament environment starting from standing and getting use to knowing what it's like to compete in an actual tournament. Fliming every bit of it
    was my idea. We had two cameras going at once cause we had two rings going at once and then we put the two cameras' footages togehter on one DVD.

The other part to this story is for awhile now we at 10th Riverside have been having tournament style matches every Friday night for the past couple of months for the same idea of getting people ready for tournaments. All tournaments start from standing even though you might think as I also do that the ground is the most important aspect of grappling. We all know now that wrestling is important for grappling and that is why we have both adult and kid wrestling classes at 10th Riverside along with the 10th Planet system of grappling and also leg locks classes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    The other thing worth mentioning is that the whole idea of the tournament was more for the beginners to get some experience with grappling tournaments and not so much for the more experienced guys. Although that highlight match of “Freakizoid” vs “Slick Rick” was great and a real crowd pleaser and hopefully there will more high level guys this next tournament. Slick Rick by the way was having back problems and was not that mobile because of it.
    One kid had only been grappling for a few weeks and got beat in 10 or 15 seconds but lasted much longer his second match. They were calling him for a third match but he had already served himself a big plate of food and his mouth was stuffed.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I just got my copy of the dvd and I'm very impressed with the quality, great angles, filmed in HD and all the matches were filmed I give it an overall 10!!! Thanx Dave for mailing me a copy!! Awesome work!