Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Fe

How often can I train?

I've been training 1.5 hours every day Monday-Friday and sometimes Sundays free-roll as well. In other training there is always rest built into the schedule (Crossfit does three on, one off).

At the same time, I know that Jiu Jitsu is a mental practice, and also see the importance of repetition.

Do you guys think it's safe to train every day long-term? I definitely want to as long as it won't break me!

And, sub-question: any daily recovery tips from the collective 10th Planet wisdom?

Array

School
    Tanshin Dojo
    when in training for an mma fight i do 6 days a week hard, but i dont think i could do it full time it get rough by the end of my training camp

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    This depends on you, how hard your rolling, your rolling/repping ratio, and how adjusted your body is to jits. I’ve gotten away with way more than your listing. Just listen to your body (and your coach, talk to your coach if you have concerns) and remember, the first sign of over training is often lack of enthusiasm for your sport.

I train jiu jitsu no less than 5 times, and up to 8 times a week. Each time is 1.5hr. I've only been training about a year, but this is how I've been training the entire time. If I roll every session, I do get injured a bit more, but this is probably just due to wear and tear. I've now broken this up into some sessions where I just drill like crazy, and other sessions where I roll a bunch. Hopefully this helps with the injuries, and keeps my time even more productive. If you have good, safe, training partners, ones who work around your injuries when things are bothering you, you should be good to go.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Kursel View Post
    I've been training 1.5 hours every day Monday-Friday and sometimes Sundays free-roll as well. In other training there is always rest built into the schedule (Crossfit does three on, one off).

At the same time, I know that Jiu Jitsu is a mental practice, and also see the importance of repetition.

Do you guys think it's safe to train every day long-term? I definitely want to as long as it won't break me!

And, sub-question: any daily recovery tips from the collective 10th Planet wisdom?
    Train as much as your body can handle. Look at Geo Freakazoid all that dude does is put in reps and he got his Purple from Sean in a year. FYI Crossfit suggest three on one off but I run my Crossfit program everyday the gym is open and every crossfit gym I know of does that same. It is all about programming your workouts.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Kursel View Post

Just as long as you don't get burned out. I knew a guy who was training 6 days a week. He got really good but he got burned out. Burn out and quit. It was no longer fun for him. He no longer looked forward to going to the studio to train. I remember going to the Machados and seeing him on Sat. walking around like a zombie from so much training. I was all fresh and ready to go. Just like it's not good to lift weights every day sometimes it's not good mentally or physically to train every day. If your training for a fight that's one thing but just to train every single day day after day. You need to be looking at instructionals. Film your classes and rolling and watch that. Have a life outside of the grappling studio.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Royler trains and teaches all day everyday...or at least that's what Ken Primola said in this mini doc about him.

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Planet Riverside, Ca View Post
    Just as long as you don't get burned out. I knew a guy who was training 6 days a week. He got really good but he got burned out. Burn out and quit. It was no longer fun for him. He no longer looked forward to going to the studio to train. I remember going to the Machados and seeing him on Sat. walking around like a zombie from so much training. I was all fresh and ready to go. Just like it's not good to lift weights every day sometimes it's not good mentally or physically to train every day. If your training for a fight that's one thing but just to train every single day day after day. You need to be looking at instructionals. Film your classes and rolling and watch that. Have a life outside of the grappling studio.
    I agree. I train at least 8 classes a week, sometimes more at other gyms. I really feel like a zombie. I come in and don't really care how I do against people. I feel I'm getting better but I just don't look forward to going to the gym. I'm sore 24/7. I need a reset.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    Many world champs train 5-6 days a week, 2-4 sessions a day.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Listen to your body!!!

Many world champs train that much because they are in really good shape and don't exert as much energy as you will.

Muscle memory develops every time you move your body and it develops at a set rate, if you train this often do you ever get sloppy with drills on friday?

Generally it's fine just don't exert all your energy on monday and then come tired every other day and if you are injured make sure you take adequate time off and don't come back early.

I know someone who kept injuring his knee because he got ants and couldn't stay off the mat. What should have been a month out of the gym turned into he can never do kick boxing again because he leg will crumble if kicked he can't do the drop kick move with people 20lbs less then him in weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast