Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    hmmmm intresting, kinda disrespectful calling out Rogan like that especially since he says hes friends with everyone there and trains there all the time.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I just read the whole thing. I missed the part where he said he was friends with people.

Either way, after reading that thread, I have some thoughts.

I'm an introspective dude and I'm not the type to just write off criticism. At least acknowledging criticism and scanning it for possible truth will help you a lot.

That being the case, I can say I'm humbled. I know that 10th planet is not the end all. But it's no doubt effective. We have seen it work at a high level. So it's not bunk. But I suppose the criticism about not having basics may have some merit.....? I'm just a few month old white belt so what do I know? But I'm just saying, maybe he's right.

On the other hand, 10th P is still relatively young. Add to that that we don't have (from what I know) actual competition TEAMS. We have guys who like to compete. So guys like Lloyd Irvin and Galvao are going to have dominant teams because they have actual competition teams who focus on competition. It's not rocket science. That's not a knock to the effectiveness of 10th planet. Considering that 10th is also mostly catered to being better JJ for MMA, the amount of competition gold isn't really a knock to its effectiveness either. I'd say compare traditional mma BJJ to 10th Planet in MMA and you'd see quickly which one is more effective. It may not be the most effective competition based BJJ, but it's not throwaway material either.

Also, don't we have a lot of guys who take home medals? I'd say we're doing something right.

In the end, I believe in the system. I also believe that the supposed holes in the system are actively being worked on. I've never gotten a sense from Eddie or Coach Herzog that the system's complete and we don't need to work on anything else. In fact, after the worlds, Eddie made a post about what we should work on to be more successful as a whole. We might want to stickie that just as a constant reminder to get better. But, just because there's room for improvement doesn't mean the system is ineffective. And it's silly to lower the quality of our wins as "a tap due to novelty." No, a tap means something works. Accept it.

What 10th planet represents to me is an evolution. It's not complete. It's still evolving. But overall, you can't deny that it is effective.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I just read the whole thing. I missed the part where he said he was friends with people.

Either way, after reading that thread, I have some thoughts.

I'm an introspective dude and I'm not the type to just write off criticism. At least acknowledging criticism and scanning it for possible truth will help you a lot.

That being the case, I can say I'm humbled. I know that 10th planet is not the end all. But it's no doubt effective. We have seen it work at a high level. So it's not bunk. But I suppose the criticism about not having basics may have some merit.....? I'm just a few month old white belt so what do I know? But I'm just saying, maybe he's right.

On the other hand, 10th P is still relatively young. Add to that that we don't have (from what I know) actual competition TEAMS. We have guys who like to compete. So guys like Lloyd Irvin and Galvao are going to have dominant teams because they have actual competition teams who focus on competition. It's not rocket science. That's not a knock to the effectiveness of 10th planet. Considering that 10th is also mostly catered to being better JJ for MMA, the amount of competition gold isn't really a knock to its effectiveness either. I'd say compare traditional mma BJJ to 10th Planet in MMA and you'd see quickly which one is more effective. It may not be the most effective competition based BJJ, but it's not throwaway material either.

Also, don't we have a lot of guys who take home medals? I'd say we're doing something right.

In the end, I believe in the system. I also believe that the supposed holes in the system are actively being worked on. I've never gotten a sense from Eddie or Coach Herzog that the system's complete and we don't need to work on anything else. In fact, after the worlds, Eddie made a post about what we should work on to be more successful as a whole. We might want to stickie that just as a constant reminder to get better. But, just because there's room for improvement doesn't mean the system is ineffective. And it's silly to lower the quality of our wins as "a tap due to novelty." No, a tap means something works. Accept it.

What 10th planet represents to me is an evolution. It's not complete. It's still evolving. But overall, you can't deny that it is effective.
    You sayin' Zog doesn't teach basics?
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Haters can tend to be liars. One guy came into riverside then left claiming he was tapping everyone and the talent wasn't as good etc. I asked those guys what happened, and told them what dude said, and all they could say was, "Uh, yeah like that really happened.".

So, yeah in the end, haters("competitors"), will try to discredit. That's why I say beleive half of what you see, and none of what you read. Hahahaha!

Array

School
    Ronin
    If you mean he didn't teach you a standard arm bar from mount where your opponent tries to push you off extending his arms and you wrap one arm outside and one arm inside and stack your hands on his chest and rotate your hips to set up the arm bar. Well he did you a favor anybody with more than a few weeks of training won't push you away he will protect his arms and you will have to transition to knee on belly to create movement or skydive and work for a head and arm choke.

Array

School
    Ronin
    ....But Im sure he covers core principals like hip movement, position and control.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    Zog teaches lots of basics

Its why I have both beginner and Int/Avanced classes.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    ....But Im sure he covers core principals like hip movement, position and control.
    Absolutely.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    LOL, not saying that at all.

He was speaking about the guys he's rolled with. I've read that criticism before. But like I said, I'm only a few month old white belt, so what do I know? I don't know. I just know that sometimes it's good to consider criticism. And I do wonder why the top no gi guys are techincally gi guys......? Maybe Denny will change that at Ultimate Absolute. Either way, I believe in the system. And I'm no doubt content with the instruction I'm getting.

If you go through that thread, one of the commentors mentioned that our blue belts smashed him easily while there were no blue belts in Ralph Gracies team that could smash him so quickly. So for sure coach knows what he's doing. You trouble making MF'er. Haha.

Array

School
    Ronin
    haha I just wanted to see you squirm.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast