Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    LOL I have no idea who sporkmonger is on redit. But I can guarantee he never did what he claims. Chances are he never even rolled in my school. He may have done minute situation drills, and if he was tapping anyone out with straight armsbars from the guard it was against guys that had only been training a month or two. Ask around, anyone thats from an outside school and rolls and my gym, gets the shit tapped out of them. I've seen blues, purples and even brown belts from other schools get tapped out by my white belts while rolling in the Roc. This dude is full of shit, and if he ever comes back to my school, will get an old fashion ass whoopin, and I'll let him pick which white belt does it.
    LOL damn x2

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    "It was all about playing your game, stylistically. Allowing the 10thP guys to suck you into their world was an easy way to get tapped, but if you could keep them in the more classic jiu jitsu positions you were fine. Now the instructor and his upper belts were just animals to begin with and had trained all over the damn place so they were nasty, but the whites and blues could all be taken care of by stopping their attempts to use strict 10th planet moves."

I agree with this. I get tapped by basic stuff like straight arm-locks from the full guard, pop triangles, and all manner of guillotine chokes. Am I embarrassed? No. Do I want to plug those holes in my game? Of course. But a blue belt does not a master make, and I know that it will all come together in time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    I knew I couldn't trust that dude. He comes by HQ about once a year, maybe twice. His instructor is the dude I named the "baby wipe" after, Joa Silva, son of Aloiso Silva. That match was on my Twister dvd, he's the guy I twistered that had the runs before our match. His fathered even threatened to sue me. I'm not surprised he's on the internet talking shit now, I had a feeling I couldn't trust him
    This is so awesome I don't even know where to begin!
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

He is friends and trains with Dustin. I rolled with him. I don't see my name mentioned.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Ha.......These people just never know when to shut the fuck up and train harder. What a dick, and to be openly owned by Eddie is just brilliant. So many douche bags on this planet its fricken ridiculous. Its funny you know. So many similar stories world wide in all affiliates. Its just the way it is! A dick will always be a dick, and lies have very short legs. It will always catch up with you especially in our art and in all Martial Arts.

Array

School
    Jits@Home
    Trolls... it wasn't worth to read the reddit thread full of trolls... but thanks for sharing

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Adler View Post
    Trolls... it wasn't worth to read the reddit thread full of trolls... but thanks for sharing
    I agree it wasn't worth reading but the good thing is it was brought to Eddies attention and now he knows where he stands with the guy.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ralph Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    If anyone is on reddit can you ask him his name.
    Hiya. That's me. And yes, I've been to your school. Yes, it was the beginner classes. Didn't say otherwise, though probably should have clarified that. I'll edit my post. Trained with you guys for two months before I moved to Nairobi, Kenya. To be honest, no disrespect was intended, and apologies if it sounded disrespectful.

In my head, I was comparing beginner class to beginner class, but it sounds like that's not how it was interpreted. I can't say shit about the content of your advanced classes, since I've never been to them. Would've gone, but you suggested I should stick to the beginner classes. Ralph's school you can show up to whatever class you like, you just get beat up more at the advanced classes.

In my post I said those guys had been training for only a couple months, but that's at least something I stand by. I learned not to reach forward and grab behind someone's neck while in full guard in my first week of class. And damn if I didn't learn that the hard way. Was icing my elbows every day for awhile because I kept forgetting not to do that. Can't remember who it was I tapped to it, but it happened twice for sure. I just kinda figured the first time was a fluke, but started drawing conclusions on the second time around.

Did two months or so with 10th Planet Rochester, starting with escapes from mount, into boa sweep series, moving on to full guard stuff, swim move, and spider web. But in two months of coming every single class, that was all we learned in terms of technique. Please understand, that's not a criticism. For me, at my own level of development, that's exactly what I needed. I don't actually do very well learning a different technique, completely divorced from positional context every single day. The shotgun approach sucks after awhile. I loved the way you taught the boa sweep series in particular, because I learned each of the entrances and exits in the course of a week and a half or so. The Guantanamo has become my go-to escape from mount, and even though I've seen the Gracies teach that one too, I learned it way better from you than I did from them, purely because of the way you taught it.

But I'm not convinced that's necessarily the best solution for teaching someone with precisely zero jiu jitsu knowledge. If I had been starting with nothing at all, I'd much rather have my first day be all about weight, leverage, positioning, base, center of gravity stuff, and the rest of my first week or two be about nothing but survival, defense, and counters. I don't know how you do that while avoiding a scenario where the rank beginners hold back the rest of the class, but I still don't think even a white belt a few months in should be getting tapped out to straight arm locks by virtue of sticking their hand in a really dumb place, and especially not by another white belt with shitty technique. Also when we covered Guantanamo, during sparring sessions after, a ton of the other guys were giving up their backs to me over and over again while trying to push down the knee, which was an issue that didn't get covered during the technique portion of the class. And I was a little surprised that you didn't correct them while we were rolling, because hell if I didn't get chewed out every time I did a shitty whip-up. I dunno, maybe chew people out for giving up their backs too?

In any case, I welcome my old-fashioned ass whoopin', assuming I'm still welcome when I'm in town. I'm a sucker for learning shit the hard way.

I will say this: My favorite thing about 10th planet is that you guys are creative and open minded. Hopefully that includes being open to a bit of well-meant criticism.

Insert Michael Jackson popcorn .gif

Array

School
    Ralph Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Shit, I hate drama. Put away your damn popcorn. :-P

Edit: One more reason I should maybe post less. Harder to put your foot in your mouth.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast