Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Port City MMA

Addiction advice?

Ok, I've been in denial about this for a while but after some extensive research & conversations with others, I have come to realize that I have an addiction to food!!! I am 6'0, my weight fluctuates between 220 - 230lbs at one point it almost got up to 250 when I used to deliver Pizzas... I eat because it feels good & not because I'm truly hungry... It's not because I'm depressed or nervous or anything like that, I just like to eat!!! I want to be a jiu jitsu instructor more than anything in the world.. More importantly, I want to be a 10th Planet Affiliate and we all know Eddie's requirements that we have to compete to do so... I live in the southeast & most tourneys around here 206lbs and above is an open weight class.. I would be killed in that weight category!!! So, I really need help, support, advice, & ect. on how I can at very least get down to 205lbs even though my frame is really built for more like 190lbs... I don't know anything about nutrition & even less about dieting but I am willing to learn & kick this addiction.. I have come to learn that food can be just as addicting as any drug!!!

"you can get addicted to cheese burgers before you can get addicted to weed"

-Joe Rogan
    Last edited by Josh Smith; 09-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    What have you eaten so far today?

Array

School
    Port City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    What have you eaten so far today?
    some fig newtons... I have really tried not to eat!

Watch this video and be inspired.

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    https://www.bcbsal.org/health/employers.cfm

Click on "Guide to good nutrition".

Also go here: http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx

You can plan your own meals and it will calculate your calories according to what you plan, so if you go over what you need, you can just adjust your meal plan accordingly.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    mens health has good information about health foods that taste good.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/weight-loss/

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Its not about diet or anything like that. Its about a lifestyle change and getting the motivation to do that. Sounds like your motivation is to compete and get your affiliation. Baby steps with nutritional changes but it is lifestyle change. It will suck the first month but it will get better and then when your where you need to be you can cheat more. I cheat my diet one meal per week. I eat whatever I want and I mean whatever. Some people take weekends off. Its up to you. No matter what though get rid of sugar drinks like soda/pop that will help and maybe hook up with a nutritionist. Other than that work your ass off at the gym/school to get that affiliation. Good Luck and send me a message if you want my buddy might be able to help with the nutrition. Food addiciton works similarly to any other addiction it is about the chemical receptors in your brain telling you what you think you need. The difference is with many heavy drugs hit your body harder than food would. With food it is less the physical dependance but more the pyscological dependance and sometimes that is harder to kick than anything else.
    Last edited by Josh Passini; 09-27-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Two things that help me:

1) Fight the fight at the supermarket, not just at home. You can't eat what you don't buy, so don't buy crap.
    2) Be more suspicious of fake crap. High fructose corn syrup, processed food that contains who-knows-what, it's crap, you can do better. When I changed my attitudes about food, it tasted different.

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    First you need to find out what is bothering you. I don't have any food addiction, but I do "bad" drugs more and get addicted to them when there is something I am doing wrong.

Array

School
    Ground Control Baltimore City
    In terms of cutting the weight, stay away from crap food and ONLY eat it if you know the rough calorie count of what you are eating. Set yourself a calorie ceiling and make sure you hit it or go under. Try to eat smaller dinners, bigger lunches. That got me from 230 to about 210.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast