Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: popped knee

Array

School
    10th planet Newark

popped knee

hey whatsup guys, new to actually posting in the forum. figured i'd ask if anyone else has ever had a similar experience with their knee popping. i competed last weekend, and got called on earlier than expected and didnt really warm up yet and it was early so i hadnt even been awake long. i pulled guard, went to mission control and instantly my knee pops like 4 times i immediately let go and move on to something else hoping to finish before the pain hit me. now it only hurts if i do any type of twisting motion.

also my flexibility is usually pretty good, and im not new to rubberguard, so i wasnt doing anything out of my normal game.

Dustin C.

Welcome to the forums!
    sorry to hear about your knee. Best thing is to go have Doc look at it and get an MRI. While at home RICE it! Rest Ice Compression Elevation.
    I currently have a similar problem, my knee just popped and made nasty scary noises about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I can walk on it now, the inflammation is almost gone but the doc said I have about 6-8 weeks before i can do anything, after that I can slowly start working it out, BUT thats what my doc said, go get your docs guidance. Hope this helped

Array

School
    Inyodo Martial Arts/Carlson Gracie Team
    that same shit hppnd to me the other day out of nowhere scary i hurt my back and hadnt been stretching as much swelling went dwn and almost back to normal you should check out ruffhouse jj in columbus carlos is was my instructor for years b4 he moved there

Array

School
    10th planet Newark
    thanks guys. i did get it checked out, he said possibly a partially torn lateral meniscus and maybe some cartilage damage, but wouldnt know for sure unless i get an mri. but he did also tell me to rice it

Array

School
    10th planet Newark
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Surridge View Post
    that same shit hppnd to me the other day out of nowhere scary i hurt my back and hadnt been stretching as much swelling went dwn and almost back to normal you should check out ruffhouse jj in columbus carlos is was my instructor for years b4 he moved there
    i have checked out ruffhouse before, didnt really care for the environment. everyone treats you like an outsider and dont even try to make you feel welcome. thats not how i roll haha

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Louis
    Exact same thing happened to me. I feel like I have good flexability and there was not much pressure on my knee when it happened. I was clearing the head for a gogoplata with little resistance and I had multiple pops. Was fine the rest of class, but swole up the next day bad. I got it checked out and my meniscus was torn. I got the orthoscopic surgery and had 5% taken out. There wasnt a piece taken out, he just shaved down the frayed part. Ive been doing physical therepy for about 2 months and Im having no pain running, doing step ups, balancing on a half ball with a weight in my hand ect. Havin trouble with deep squats but I think its because Im still swollen and should be fine. My advice is get the mri just to make sure. If you let it get worse, more will be damaged and eventually have to be taken out.

you are doing it wrong if you hurt yourself, hip out and create an angle, the knee is meant to only bend up and down not side to side. i know zog posted something about this a long time ago.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    This stuff happens man. It seems like most of the times I've seen it, there's a pop n the dudes ok. Then the next morning his knee is jacked. If u didn't chip any bones u are probably good and on the Matt in 3 months but that's just what I've seen in about 5 different cases. Chipping the bone or completely tearing ligaments is a different story though.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemange August K. View Post
    you are doing it wrong if you hurt yourself, hip out and create an angle, the knee is meant to only bend up and down not side to side. i know zog posted something about this a long time ago.
    if anyone has a link thatd be great. kinda makes me hesitant to try sorcerers sence your more under then to the side. Lots of knee pressure. Never had pain or problems with it before but I may steer clear and have a more omaplata than gogo style.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Sorry to hear about your knee, man. It's awesome to be flexible, but it can be dangerous to rely on that flexibility. It's super important to make proper angle if you wanna play rubber guard. If you feel pressure in your knee ever, I say bail on it. The knee will feel pressure and then give way; the pain won't come until the injury has already happened. And in many cases your adrenaline will allow you to keep fighting and injure yourself further after the initial injury.

In short, the Rubber Guard is great, but you gotta be smart and listen to your body.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast