Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Big Guys "I can't do Rubber Guard I'm too big"

Big Guys "I can't do Rubber Guard I'm too big"

I'm not sure how many times I've heard this but being a smaller guy (155 lbs walking around) theres no way for me to dispute the statement. I have a hard time believing this to be true. So the reason I'm starting this thread is, are there any videos of big guys doing rubber guard successfully on other big guys? Or since theres a wide variety of body sizes on this forum, some personal experience on whether this statement is even close to true. And by "big guys" I'm meaning more the ones with a gut not "big guys" like Vinny.
    Ive even seen some guys refuse to even try because they "know" they can't do it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    And Im sure there are some aspects that arent possible but Ive asked about teaching big guys rubber guard in the past and I was told its all about angles. But I want to be able to say "This guy is successful with rubber guard and hes big"
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    GBBJJ
    All I know is I'm BIG I can't do the rubber guard but I stretch every day it hopes that one day I'll be able to crank it on someone. It's hard just to find guys that want to roll. But as soon as I hit the RG ill post it lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    I thought there was a british amatuer heavyweight champ with some solid rubber guard. Sorry I can't remember your name, pal. There is also this guy

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    I usually weigh around 235, and the only thing that would potentially stop me from getting rubber guard flexible is my gut.
    It's all about consistancy. Stretch 3-4 times a day, after every workout, when you watch tv, etc etc. Be thorough, and take your time. Try to enjoy it. 10 minute warm up 20 minute stretch. Listen to some radio, music, watch a show (I like to watch MTS when I stretch).
    Don't say you can't if you havent even given it a chance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Cummings View Post
    I usually weigh around 235, and the only thing that would potentially stop me from getting rubber guard flexible is my gut.
    It's all about consistancy. Stretch 3-4 times a day, after every workout, when you watch tv, etc etc. Be thorough, and take your time. Try to enjoy it. 10 minute warm up 20 minute stretch. Listen to some radio, music, watch a show (I like to watch MTS when I stretch).
    Don't say you can't if you havent even given it a chance.
    Yeah the gut is what I hear as far as an excuse at to why its impossible. Ive seen guys that look like Butterbean get into double lotus and are able to headkick someone thats 6'5 So I assume its possible with flexibility. I could see Meathooks and Mission Control being somewhat of an issue without a good angle but theres no reason flying kung fus and flying chill dog shouldnt be possible or even easy to do for big guys
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cran18 View Post
    All I know is I'm BIG I can't do the rubber guard but I stretch every day it hopes that one day I'll be able to crank it on someone. It's hard just to find guys that want to roll. But as soon as I hit the RG ill post it lol
    And once you do youll be tearing apart guys your size with rubber guard cause they wont have the reps defending!
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Sometimes the phrase "rubber guard" is intimidating unto itself. It implies insane flexibility that may deter larger less flexible people from giving it a try. When I've had bigger dudes ask me to show them things I just show them a route off of the overhook. It's far less intimidating and if they create the right angle, their ankle is right there for the posture control anyways and low and behold, they're doing rubber guard without even realizing it.

Array

School
    Big Girls Gym
    I got a guy that come in the gym,and when I first met him he was 260 270 and could do rubber guard all day.

K Madden

at my largest i was 235-240 and could hit a handstand double lotus. I def had a big advantage over those who didn't use it.
    guys my size get tired quick. Crackhead for 30 secs to a min usually does the trick to be honest. ...which is pathetic haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast