Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    But wait, there's more!
    Can I get TWO 10th Planet Lockdowns for the price of one????

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    I think the main reason is that people feel that if you have a really good top guy you will get stuck under him. This is death for two reasons. 1 Brock vs Frank and 2nd the judges in that position will give it to the top position every time.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    I don't know the answer but I remember Frank Mir using the lock down in his second fight with Brock Lesnar, but not with much success. Though I don't think he was using the double under hooks, maybe because he wasn't able to get them? I'm interested in hearing what you guys think he should have or could have done in that situation. Should he have transitioned to another position? Lesnar said he would put his training partners in that position and they would escape. Not sure if he was referring to the first or second round though. Thoughts?

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS

Skip to 1:00 mentions his guys get out of that position
    Last edited by gene k; 08-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS

Found this, Frank gives some of his thoughts on why he lost to Lesnar. Around 1:20

http://mmahits.com/fighters/brock-le...r-fight-video/
    -link to both rounds
    Last edited by gene k; 08-05-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I believe the reason most traditional BJJ practitioners don't believe the lockdown works (and therefore don't use it) is because it uses a different style of hip movement.

With traditional half guard you put your foot on the ground to create hip movement and the space you need to work.

With the Lockdown, we use the 2-on-1 to manipulate the opponent's leg and we believe it is the lack of space (clinch) that gives us an opportunity to work.

The misunderstanding of the hip movement is why most traditional practitioners don't use and teach the Lockdown, which is why their students don't use it.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Kopacz View Post

Found this, Frank gives some of his thoughts on why he lost to Lesnar. Around 1:20

http://mmahits.com/fighters/brock-le...r-fight-video/
    -link to both rounds
    I was just about to refer them to this vid. It's a good watch.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Cummings View Post
    Can I get TWO 10th Planet Lockdowns for the price of one????
    No, but the lockdown does come with a variety of attacks for FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde View Post
    I think the main reason is that people feel that if you have a really good top guy you will get stuck under him. This is death for two reasons. 1 Brock vs Frank and 2nd the judges in that position will give it to the top position every time.
    I'm not a pro fighter. I'm only a white belt so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But Mir wasn't using the lockdown correctly. If I have a lockdown without double unders, I'm fighting for the double unders. If I'm not able to get to the double unders, there are a ton of options. That being said, Mir's strategy to just hold the lockdown while getting pummeled can't be referred to as an accurate depiction of the lockdown.

Array

School
    blank
    I would toss in two ideas:

(1) being a small guy with long legs I definitely prefer to use butterfly or half-butterfly, especially since opponents are usually OBSESSED with taking the under hook. But guys with a really good base are tough to deal with having just the hooks, but double-unders lockdown works on virtually everybody.

(2) even if you understand lockdown half it still requires a fair amount of time and reps to get your body in sync to execute a good-quality whip up. Most chumps don't put in the work
    Last edited by Tony Toffolo; 08-06-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12