Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Wow

Array

School
    none
    the irony deepens when you find out this guy is running a rape prevention seminar

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    This fucking sucks. Lloyd really has to address this issue or loose all moral credibility in my opinion.

Sam Sales

While noted BJJ and MMA trainer Lloyd Irvin has not responded to inquiries and an article here at Bloody Elbow that he may have been the same Lloyd Irvin charged in a 1989 gang rape of a 17 year old, he has been busy with other things. Around the time the news was set to break that two of Irvin's male students were being charged with the rape of one of his female students Irvin was very active in posting videos about an upcoming rape prevention seminar. Some people found the opportunistic marketing somewhat questionable at that time, but Lloyd has gone a little further with that marketing strategy now.

Irvin purchased the domain LloydIrvinRape.com yesterday as the story of the 1989 case was gaining steam. Here's a photo of the WhoIS entry with the purchase information, captured by Sherdog member LS1Rx7:

I have no problem saying that turning attention on a rape case involving two of your students with a third as the victim and attention on an old gang rape case into a marketing event is in poor taste - at the very least.

Irvin also released a press release yesterday on PRWeb.com about his February 2 rape prevention seminar. PRWeb's website describes what they do on their site by saying "Each release is optimized to help you get the best organic search results. PRWeb also distributes your news to premium online outlets, and is sent directly to journalists and bloggers so you can be found all around the web - critical in achieving greater visibility, generating publicity and driving potential buyers back to your business."

It's important to note that the seminars are free.

The release being sent out gets picked up by some media outlets which repost press releases, like Fox 8 out of New Orleans whose repost of the press release is now one of the top Google results for phrases like "Lloyd Irvin Rape." The timing of the videos, the wording and timing of the press release, the domain purchase. Those are all pretty standard search engine optimization tactics to try to control results on Google for certain phrases.

Nothing he is doing here is illegal by any means, but it isbit offensive. When a young woman is dealing with allegedly being raped by two men she knew from Irvin's gym, Irvin began marketing his own rape prevention classes, turning her horrible ordeal into a business opportunity. Now, with questions about the '89 case and if he is the same Irvin charged in that gang rape case, Lloyd is deleting any mention of it on his Facebook page, refusing to answer inquiries from the public as well as media and appearing to going so far as to deactivate his Facebook profiles whenever he is not around. All of this while also purchasing a domain and putting out press releases in an attempt to capitalize on anyone searching for details on either case.

It's likely the domain purchase is a defensive move. Irvin is an internet marketing expert and knows that if he can flood Google with sites under his control that come up when the term "Lloyd Irvin rape" is searched for it will minimize the chances of people finding something negative about him or his team when they make that search.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/11...rape-marketing

wow

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Court document details on rape charges against two Lloyd Irvin students

http://www.fightopinion.com/2013/01/...students-rape/

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sales View Post
    Irvin purchased the domain LloydIrvinRape.com

It's likely the domain purchase is a defensive move.
    Well, no duh!

And why does the word "allegedly" keep popping up? Didn't the fuckers get caught on film???

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Well, no duh!

And why does the word "allegedly" keep popping up? Didn't the fuckers get caught on film???
    I never wrote that, just copy/pasted from the link. The only part that was mine was the 'wow' at the bottom. ;-)

Don't think Lloyd and his friends were caught on tape in their case, that was way back in 1989.
    Not to sure about Maldonado/Schultz either.
    The whole thing stinks. Lloyds actions since the news broke about him (not the case involving his students) he has been pretty unbelievable tbh. The registration of llodyirvinrape.com and the rape prevention marketing material he put on there (now removed), the constant activating and deactivating of his facebook account, not mentioning a word about all of the accusations.
    He certainly has some explaining to do. :-(

Sam Sales

The story of two male Lloyd Irvin students who were charged with the rape of a female student on New Year's Eve has led to some unfortunate developments. Following the news about the students, details of a 1989 rape case involving a Lloyd E. Irvin Jr. surfaced. Some digging revealed that this Lloyd Irvin was the same age and attended the same university at the same time as MMA instructor Lloyd Irvin. Requests for a statement on the situation by the media were met with silence and anyone bringing it up on Irvin's Facebook page saw their post deleted.

However, following that story, Lloyd Irvin purchased the domain LloydIrvinRape.com and filled the page with marketing for his Rape Prevention Seminars, which has since been removed. That was a strategic move on two fronts. First, eliminating the possibility that someone else purchase the domain. But, more importantly, the purchase was an attempt to control Google search results, along with a press release about the seminars sent out via PRWeb which was automatically distributed to news sites.

But these stories always lead to odd moments of defensiveness from some in the MMA community. In this case it is a Lloyd Irvin black belt and head instructor at Wrightson BJJ who crossed a very significant line in trying to defend his mentor when he posted the following on the Total Protection Interactive forums:

Full disclosure: I am a Lloyd Irvin black belt.

Lloyd is an absolutely billiant BJJ/MMA coach and business man. Our eam results speak for themselves. The school owner's success following his business model also speak for themselves. Nothing but a standup guy hs he ever been to me and the rest of his students. I've known him for over 15 years.

Criticism of his marketing doesn't mean shit to me. Its like pissing and moaning about a tacky Bud Light commercial. A quality product is a quality product.

It sounds like the evidence is overwhelming for the 2 lowlifes accused of rape. They are scum. They scarred a girl who was a teammate. I know for a fact what the rest of TLI would do to those two if tribal justice was socially acceptable. Since it isn't, I hope that justice is served and they rot in prison.

The trial from 1990 is news to me. This will sound blunt and maybe offensive, but it sounds like a "train was run" on a dirty whore that got to feeling guilty. Bad judgment? Hell fuck yes. But not rape. I know this is a touchy subject and I have daughters too.

The release of rape prevention marketing videos isn't about profiteering at all. It's about gaming google searches. Its called SEO. Lloyd is good at it and teaches it to BJJ/MMA school owners. Myself included.

(emphasis mine)

That was Phil Proctor. As previously mentioned, Phil is the head trainer at Wrightson BJJ in Maryland. Later in the thread he said "It is my belief, after speaking to those in the know, that even those convicted in 1990 were not guilty of a crime. Juries getting it wrong aren't anything new."

The desire to defend a mentor in a tough time is understandable to a point. But calling a woman who was 17 at the time when she was raped -- three men were convicted for rape and forced sodomy in the case -- a "dirty whore" is disturbing on a number of levels.

Rather than getting too off track with a discussion about victim blaming, I'll turn to an article about the trial:

Holly Smith was a physician at Riverside Regional Medical Center in the early morning of Oct. 10, 1989, when the 17-year-old was brought in by a police detective for examination. Smith testified Friday that the exam was hampered because the woman suffered from vaginal spasms.

The doctor said the disorder virtually always is the result of rape, rather than consensual sexual intercourse, and that the condition can last for years. Often, she said, women explain that they cannot have intercourse after they have been raped because they get scared and begin to experience the spasms.

``It is very common after rape,'' said Smith. ``It is not common otherwise.''

Some will, no doubt, think that this isn't worth posting. But I think it's an interesting look into the insular, overly defensive nature of much of the MMA and BJJ community. All too often it is never enough to simply attempt to defend someone, you have to attack the other as well. And this also speaks to the widespread impact of a story like this.

Affiliates of Irvin are willing to go to these extreme lengths in public despite potential damage to their business because of...what? Because Irvin has been good to them in the past?

Proctor's gym teaches self defense classes, their website rambles on and on about defense and BJJ as self-defense. But when a 17 year old claims that she was gang raped with enough evidence to support that the 97 pound woman was overpowered by a large group of college men that multiple people were convicted in the case, she's a "dirty whore" who "got to feeling guilty."

That's not a gym I would want any association with.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/14...bjj-calls-1989

The bit I highlighted in bold just blew my mind. So you are saying it is news to you, yet instantly in the same sentence she was a whore that had a train run through her.

Just insensitive and totally classless! :-(

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Well, no duh!

I'm sure Lloyd was using the word allegedly in his statement because he did not want to take sides on the matter. There was video of the incident from security cameras but they only caught the sexual encounter. I took an entire course on sexual assault during my undergrad and the problem with this crime is that it is entirely "he said, she said." The video shows that they had sex but the entire matter of force still needs to be proven. It is unfortunate but that is how our criminal justice system is set up. In instances of sexual assault, it really works against the victim. Since this is the case, Lloyd didn't want to pick a side in the matter until it is taken to trial and the men are prosecuted. It is best for him to stay neutral because there are those women who falsely cry rape and make real cases even more difficult to prosecute. What I would like to know is how he handled these young men. Are they still training with him? Are they living in the fighter house? If he allows them to stay right now it will reflect negatively on his team and prevent females from wanting to train with him.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Oh Sam, my "no duh" comment was in reference to the article, I knew you didn't write that bro.

Amber, thanks for the reply.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast