Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Grosse Pointe - New Edge MMA

Newbie help needed against larger opponent

Hey guys,
    I am a 160lbs 5'8" female (white belt). I take private jit jitsu lessons from my tae kwon do instructor (6th Don) since there are no other gyms in my area. He's certified to teach jit jitsu too. Problem is his size and strength, he has 6" and 35lbs on me not to mention knowledge and technique. I am looking for moves to use against him as defense and offense. I have been able to tap him a few times (mainly triangles and collar chokes or baseball choke) so I am looking for some moves that he didn't teach me and won't be expecting. Something to make up for the size and power difference. He also catches me in leg locks way to much, I'm learning not to leave my legs behind and that's helping... Any advice is appreciated.

To Eddie.... was watching your video about passing guard, I learned in open full guard if I jump and roll guard to the north south position I can immediately sink in a choke...you didn't exactly show it that way, you showed rolling into side mount but I modified it.. Thanks so much for that tutorial!

Beck

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    As a white belt, focusing on how to tap your instructor who has 35 pounds on you is not the smartest thing to focus on. My advice is to find a bjj school near you and join it. You need to roll with beginners that are around your size. Once you are a purple belt then you can focus on tapping out giant dudes who out rank you. What is the nearest major city?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I agree with Master Eddie.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I would just focus on your technique. Don't try to out muscle him or another larger opponent, wait for them to make a mistake. Also what Eddie said, you need to roll with people or size and rank, not someone much larger and much better. There is a time for that but not now. As far as getting tapped , just pay attention to the mistakes you make or ask them

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    As another female white belt, I understand your problem. I'm the only girl and smallest person at my gym. I've been doing this for a little over a year and have learned at this stage, I am not as concerned with getting a tap as I am with not getting tapped. If the guys who are bigger and stronger than me are unable to submit me then I know I must be doing something right. Now I'm working more on getting sweeps and on escapes. You will get to a point when submissions are your goal but while you are limited with training partners, focus on your defense.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Yeah, Eddie always is gonna steer you the right direction. If you can tap your instructor, who has size and experience on you.. Find a legit school, because he is not. At least in jj.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Kamischke View Post
    As another female white belt, I understand your problem. I'm the only girl and smallest person at my gym. I've been doing this for a little over a year and have learned at this stage, I am not as concerned with getting a tap as I am with not getting tapped. If the guys who are bigger and stronger than me are unable to submit me then I know I must be doing something right. Now I'm working more on getting sweeps and on escapes. You will get to a point when submissions are your goal but while you are limited with training partners, focus on your defense.
    Amber is a beast, she rolls with guys over 100lbs more than her.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I also second on trying to find a nearby school (within 1 hr let's say?) for you to visit at least once a week if not twice a week (u're obv welcome to continue training with him, if u have a history with him then obv there's some camaradarie and trust and u might be able to share some techniques with him as well albeit from the whitebelt/beginner perspective. I would say too don't worry too much about tapping him, focus on defense and survival (first few months say u get tapped 10-12 times in an hr, then slowly work that down to 8, then 5, etc). For me at 5'9" 165lbs I tend to be on the smaller end too for guys and when I first started the avg size opponents I trained with were easily 5'11"-6'1" and 175lbs-215lbs. Focus on conservation of energy too, even for a timed 5 min match don't try to explode all ur energy in the first few min not only will that make the rest of ur practice matches with ur master uneven it'll also make u more prone to injury and mentally shutting down in terms of absorbing more info. A

If u don't have a premium account here sign up for that too, the $5 Eddie charges is nothing compared to what it is worth (Marcelo charges I think $25-$30 a month for his subscription not taking away from him of course, and I've seen/heard of other black belts who easily charge $20-$25 a month as well to subscribe to their monthly online lessons.

Also, don't hesitate to post questions here too and if u have vid def share it. People here will generally take the time to help u and the more Ronins we have spreading the word the more we can continue to grow the system. Keep at it!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Do you live in Grosse Point Michigan? Is so, arent you close to 10th Planet Detroit (Clawson)?

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Kamischke View Post
    Word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast