Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Rick is right. You should think about why you are there. I personally would not stay, but i am a little old school in my martial arts philosophies. If he has qualities that are undesirable to you, then why pay him to pass those on to you. If that type of stuff doesn't matter to you then it sounds like you are fine where you are. But just know that bad qualities start at the top. Lloyd Irvin made that very apparent.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Herzog consistently dropping the knowledge.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Zog with science! Everything he said is right on.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Convenience should not be a factor at all, quality and competency should. Jiu Jitsu is not just a commodity it is a science and a lifestyle and needs to be treated with respect by both parts. Settling for an instructor because of convenience sake is doing yourself a huge disservice. Jiu Jitsu is a lifelong journey, the company you keep along the way should be based on mutual respect, in order to make the most of that journey. The fact that you have recognized there is an issue answered your question.
    Anyone else's mind blown?

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    Anyone else's mind blown?
    That's why we love Coach!! Muthafukin Jedi Master!! The man lives on another level!!

Array

School
    Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Hi Jeremy, what is the situation?

I'll drive 1000 miles a week, week in and week out, to train with good people.
    It's a lil extreme, but know it can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Convenience should not be a factor at all, quality and competency should. Jiu Jitsu is not just a commodity it is a science and a lifestyle and needs to be treated with respect by both parts. Settling for an instructor because of convenience sake is doing yourself a huge disservice. Jiu Jitsu is a lifelong journey, the company you keep along the way should be based on mutual respect, in order to make the most of that journey. The fact that you have recognized there is an issue answered your question.
    Thanks to all for their input.

To answer Slick Rick's question, the issue is one of manners and courtesy, more than anything else. My coach's skills as an instructor are not in question, just his skill with (some) people. I have an MTS subscription and use this to train with a buddy at my place. Just watching these vids, I get to see how guys like Eddie and Chris treat their students and, it seems quite apparent, that there is plenty of mutual respect (I know, I know, Jason Eisner could be editing ). Even hearing how Eddie and Joe Rogan talk about Jean-Jaques Machado and how he makes a point to be everyone's' friend and mentor. I've seen Frank in action at tournaments here and he seems like a top-shelf guy. I don't need to be friends with my coach, however, I do expect mutual respect and common courtesy. Lastly, if I was to travel out Franks way to train, I'd probably lose my job and family!

And, to Chris, thanks for your great summation. I agree with all that you've said. As I said before, competency is not an issue, courtesy is. I think myself lucky I have great training partners and other coaches, which (in part) compensates for the one "bad egg". Part of dealing with a problem is to first recognise and acknowledge it exists. Hence, I don't rely solely on my main BJJ coach. I look to other resources, such as MTS, to further my game. In theory, how would you want a student to approach you, if they felt there was a problem?

Cheers guys.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12