Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I agree, no-gi grip strenght is different. I can tell you rock climbing grip strenght training that will give you amazing grip strength. But it really doesn't translate to no gi except for wrist control. The best no gi grip strength training I have seen I learned from the guys at 10th planet St. Paul. If you have access to a heavy bag, gable grip around the heavy bag, lift your feet off the ground and hold for 1 minute. I have since added my extras based on rock climbing training. If you can hold for 1 minute, add a weight belt with 5 lbs. Continue to try for 1 minute. once you build up to 1 minute add another 5 lbs and repeat. I bet once you have worked your way up to 40 lbs or so, you will have a crushing unbreakable gable grip. Do the same process with s grip, and ball and socket seat belt grip. Check out Eric Horst's books and website Training for climbing and trainingforclimbing.com. His H.I.T workout is what this is adapted from. You want popeye forearms, this guy can get you there. You can also email him, he is a great guy and will be happy to help.

Array

School
    10th Planet London
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonrivello View Post
    train da gi you must
    I agree, that's the power of da gi.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I use the Grip4Force fat bar grips for all my sub-maximal work for my pull ups, rows and deadlifts. They are basically hard rubber "c" shapes grips that must be crushed closed around the bar. They make a standard Olympic bar 2.75" in diameter, and if you don't grip them closed, the bar is going to fall free. Pretty simple carry over to grip fighting and clinching, and it is very easy to program for a progressive strength increase over time by varying load and time under tension.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike May View Post
    I use the Grip4Force fat bar grips for all my sub-maximal work for my pull ups, rows and deadlifts. They are basically hard rubber "c" shapes grips that must be crushed closed around the bar. They make a standard Olympic bar 2.75" in diameter, and if you don't grip them closed, the bar is going to fall free. Pretty simple carry over to grip fighting and clinching, and it is very easy to program for a progressive strength increase over time by varying load and time under tension.
    Very good and educated answer. I love those little grip things he taking about, we have some blue ones at the college I work at. Good stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Gi pull ups. I had one of those hand grippers and they work well as long as you constantly use it. Lost mine and haven't replaced it yet. Kettle bells.
    +1 Gi Pull ups are the one of the best grip exercises I've ever done.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    We do pullups on a 4x4 and on a frayed barge rope hanging off of it, and try to explode from the rope to the beam and back.

If you want to really kill yourself stand comfortably and extend both your arms in front of you, palms down. For thirty seconds open your hands as wide as you can and then clench them into the tightest fist possible as rapidly as possible. Thirty seconds is pure murder, especially the first couple times. Rest 30 and repeat until fail. Your forearms will be exploding.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Your fingers closing a fist is NOT nogi grip strength, that's gi grip strength. You must work out the bending of the wrist. Such as a used in a collar tie, RG, butterfly grip, etc etc. you don't close your fist all the way down and clinch something in your fingers in nogi...ever. Why work out like that? I don't care how tight I can hold a piece of cloth in my fist, I need to be able to hold a collar tie, finish a rnc latch style choke using the freedom rock, hold a butterfly grip, etc.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Your fingers closing a fist is NOT nogi grip strength, that's gi grip strength. You must work out the bending of the wrist. Such as a used in a collar tie, RG, butterfly grip, etc etc. you don't close your fist all the way down and clinch something in your fingers in nogi...ever. Why work out like that? I don't care how tight I can hold a piece of cloth in my fist, I need to be able to hold a collar tie, finish a rnc latch style choke using the freedom rock, hold a butterfly grip, etc.
    You may not close them all the way down like you would in the gi but, at least for me, Im constantly grabbing wrist control and keeping it because I have a decent grip strength. IE Pyramid, jump rope triangle, kimuras, any figure 4 grip really,or even in guard i get double wrist control.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    You may not close them all the way down like you would in the gi but, at least for me, Im constantly grabbing wrist control and keeping it because I have a decent grip strength. IE Pyramid, jump rope triangle, kimuras, any figure 4 grip really,or even in guard i get double wrist control.
    Or is this even different muscle groups? I'm not doctor and haven't taken any sort of anatomy class before.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    More No gi jiu jitsu could help
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast