Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Automotive work, manual labor, rock climbing and what ryan said about holding kettlebells upside down all have helped me. I also use a grip exerciser when driving around.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    More No gi jiu jitsu could help
    This is just crazy enough it may work

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    This is just crazy enough it may work
    Experimental at best but I think there is some evidence. I think that grappler Marcelo something may have said it somewhere. I heard that guy is pretty decent.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

This is the best answer. Just keep training.

Dean Lister has a great bit on this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    If you're going to add anything though kettlebells are best imo. Grab a 25 lber and go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    If you're going to add anything though kettlebells are best imo. Grab a 25 lber and go nuts.
    Ya, I'm going to get some. I heard they are the bees knees

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    word

Array

School
    None
    I have the opposite problem. I have grip strength for days but no JJ. Grip training is an entire sub-group and they even have their own competitions. There are several types of grip strength and for complete grip strength you should train them all. You have pinch grip (pinch some weight plates together and lift), crushing grip (heavy grippers), grip wrist (leverage, torque and control) and open hand support (thick grip). I would recommend crushing to everyone. It is kind of the base of grip strength. Sporting good grippers are useless. Go online for the heavy kind. For no-gi I would use many of the things already mentioned but would add chins and pulls with baseballs and softballs, heavy hammer leverage, farmer’s walks with different weights and bar diameters for strength and endurance, eagle claw strap pull-ups thick bar timed holds and even some pinch gripping. Building up the thumb is critical to keeping a hold from breaking. I also recommend strongman stone lifting. Your hand is open but your hand and wrist have to work together to maintain enough friction to complete the lift. Vertical bar dead lifts (approx 2”) and thick rolling handle dead lifts are also very good.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jodoin View Post
    I have the opposite problem. I have grip strength for days but no JJ. Grip training is an entire sub-group and they even have their own competitions. There are several types of grip strength and for complete grip strength you should train them all. You have pinch grip (pinch some weight plates together and lift), crushing grip (heavy grippers), grip wrist (leverage, torque and control) and open hand support (thick grip). I would recommend crushing to everyone. It is kind of the base of grip strength. Sporting good grippers are useless. Go online for the heavy kind. For no-gi I would use many of the things already mentioned but would add chins and pulls with baseballs and softballs, heavy hammer leverage, farmer’s walks with different weights and bar diameters for strength and endurance, eagle claw strap pull-ups thick bar timed holds and even some pinch gripping. Building up the thumb is critical to keeping a hold from breaking. I also recommend strongman stone lifting. Your hand is open but your hand and wrist have to work together to maintain enough friction to complete the lift. Vertical bar dead lifts (approx 2”) and thick rolling handle dead lifts are also very good.
    Wow, I gotta shake your hand one day. Honestly my grips pretty ok but I find when you're all sweaty that grip strength is not as important as grip fighting, which is not the same thing.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    None
    Ahhh. Brilliant. A learning opportunity. What is involved with hand fighting? What attributes (physical rather than technical) would add value to hand fighting?
    I have a "black belt" in strength and conditioning but JJ is what I'm here to learn.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast