Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leg Locks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I don't want to be the dude breaking knees, let someone meaner teach them that life lesson
    Send them over to our gym. Dudes get crazy like brazil.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I've been saying this exact samething at every leglock seminar I've teach!
    And the submission gets blamed. When someone straightens their arm to rip out of an armbar, the armbar isn't blamed. When You roll the wrong way on a kimura, it isn't the kimuras fauly your shoulder is fucked.

I've had to let a bunch of leglocks go, because the dude almost broke their shit. Which is shitty, because it leads them to believe their escape works and when you try to tell them differently they take it as you posturing and saving face. But still, I don't want to be the dude breaking knees, let someone meaner teach them that life lesson

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Fuck, I need to stop posting from my phone. Every time I pull up the browser it resends that

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Yup, the focus for rookies should be masting the positions of control. I only allows my blues and up to do rotational leg locks.
    me too, so many less knees and ankles go POP!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    im sitting here with my cat on my lap and reading everything in thsi thread. i know believe she knows what to do with leg locks. thanks guys

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    Personally, I'm not a fan of new folks using twisting ankle locks at all. I'm also not a fan of using them against new folks. The straight ankle lock, crushes, and knee bars I'm not as worried about. My main issue is that, all too often, new folks are spazzes, and I don't want my ankle spazzed out on, lol. Aside from that, however, I think in some ways using ankle locks too early ignores some very key elements of jits, specifically positional control. One guy I've rolled with for years used to, when he was newer, stand in my open guard, and just dive on an ankle. Since he had no control over my body whatsoever I could simply roll with the pressure and come up on top of him.

Also I'm a big proponent of position before submission, so I like to see newer folks trying to work the pass, as it's such an important part of jits. There's no time too early to start working and developing your passes!

When it comes to using twisting locks on new folks, because they often don't hurt until it's too late, often new people do not recognize the danger they're in. That's not their fault, they just lack the experience/knowledge to recognize what's going on.

When rolling with people I trust, however, I don't have any issues with people dropping back for ankles, this helps keep me aware of the danger.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of new folks using twisting ankle locks at all. I'm also not a fan of using them against new folks. The straight ankle lock, crushes, and knee bars I'm not as worried about. My main issue is that, all too often, new folks are spazzes, and I don't want my ankle spazzed out on, lol. Aside from that, however, I think in some ways using ankle locks too early ignores some very key elements of jits, specifically positional control. One guy I've rolled with for years used to, when he was newer, stand in my open guard, and just dive on an ankle. Since he had no control over my body whatsoever I could simply roll with the pressure and come up on top of him.

Which is why learning and drilling the leg lock positions of control are so important. Its not as simple as pinching the knees together, there is an entire system of controlling and isolating the hips.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    I agree with that, but one thing at a time, lol, and that's a ways up my personal list of foundations to work. That's just my opinion though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123