How many hours do you train a week and how long did it take to earn your belts?

I'm curious to know how much time training correlates to skill. Yes I understand that people get promoted for different reasons and belt level doesn't exactly always equal skill and other instructors promote slower/faster than others. I'm just trying to get a general idea.

Other things I would be interested in knowing is other factors like how often you exercise, stretch, watch instructionals, watch matches, compete, attend seminars etc...

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    60% of the time, do Jiu Jitsu all the time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    My impression is , if you just do "sport jiu jitsu" and aren't training jiu jitsu for mma or grappling in some other manner that does not produce belts, you should take around 2 years to get a blue going like 3 times a week. Obviously it varies a lot.

Some gyms, like mine, require competition to get belts and some dont.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    my circumstances were kinda weird but it took me about 8 years to get my blue belt. I was blue for about three weeks then and purple for about 16 months. I would say on average I have trained about 8 hours a week. sometimes more sometimes less, but I have been consistently training for about 7 years. before that it was pretty off and on. but in high school and middle school I was a three sport athlete including wrestling. all of my promotions were from the Master himself.
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I started training consistently (5 days a week, sometimes more than once a day) in January of 2008 July I got my Blue belt in July 2011. I got my purple belt on August 1st 2013. It should be noted that both Nathan and myself started out as Ronins and that had some effect on training time to belt promotions…

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan orchard View Post
    my circumstances were kinda weird but it took me about 8 years to get my blue belt. I was blue for about three weeks then and purple for about 16 months. I would say on average I have trained about 8 hours a week. sometimes more sometimes less, but I have been consistently training for about 7 years. before that it was pretty off and on. but in high school and middle school I was a three sport athlete including wrestling. all of my promotions were from the Master himself.
    8 hours per week average for 7 years to be a brown, seems good.