Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Woolsey View Post
    Come to our class on Saturday at Sweatbox Boxing & Fitness 11:15-1 and we will put in some work with ya. Here is the addy:
    6851 SW 21st Court, Unit 9
    Davie, FL 33317
    Aright!

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    As far as points tournaments go, NAGA is a good event for no gi. It does make for a long day. And it's still a points tournament with all the issues that come along with that. Beyond that, I'd give NAGA a good review.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    My first competition ever is coming up in just about a month. I've read that no points are awarded for 'aggressively' pulling guard, but if you don't aggressively pull guard you are penalized two points. Does anyone know what aggressively pulling guard entails? Also, being that I'm not very good at wrestling or judo, what do you all suggest as far as taking it to the ground? Ive also read mixed reviews about NAGA, what do you guys think?
    I have a few things to suggest. 1. work on your sprawls, you are going to probably run into guys who work on their wrestling too. 2. Work on your pummeling and do some pummeling drills. 3. Being able to escape double underhooks if someone gets double underhooks on you is an important skill. 4. As far as taking it to the ground it depends on your style,some people are more comfortable pulling guard if you feel the most comfortable on your back fine that works good for some guys, But if you like to play top game more but just need to work on your takedowns a good technique I like to teach guys as a basic no gi takedown is osoto gake it's not hard at all to learn and in about 5 mins you will know a good takedown. In this tournament since you haven't been really working on your wrestling I don't think shooting for doubles or singles is a good idea,If you are going to be competing in the novice division I don't think people with wrestling experience are allowed so singles and doubles might work on some people, beginner division im not sure if wrestlers are allowed......Also after this tournament if you have the time cross training in wrestling or Judo for your takedowns is a good idea.

Oh yeah after the tournament let us know how it went. The experience will give you a good idea what to work on when you get back to training.
    Last edited by Chris Matts; 09-21-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Great rule system, and I've found it to always be on time when I've done NAGA in Vagas, I don't know what the quality of their tourneys are anywhere else, but I've had nothing but good experiences. #1 thing to keep in mind is the fact that ALL SUBS are legal, so while most white belts don't even know what a heel hook is, it's best to familiarize yourself with it and to drill the ESCAPE routes until you become more proficient. It's the one thing I wish they would change actually and make any twisting leg locks avaible to Expert level only. Neck cranks, can-openers, Twisters All legal stuff, so just be aware and try to cover your basis far as defenses go. Pulling guard will not get you penalized if you INITIATE CONTACT, easiest way is with wrist control, but your best bet is a strong over-hook before you pull guard to get you in nice and deep. Try to at least have a single leg in your arsenal though, easy 2 points if you can get up first and score off a scramble. Hope that helps padawan

And remember for heel hook defense: turn with it, straighten the foot, kick out. Repeat that to yourself until it's second nature!
    Last edited by Compella; 09-21-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12