Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    ronin
    you guys might wanna try foam roller exercises if you're always feeling sore, part of the problem could be built up lactic acid from your hard sessions. the rolling action also smooths out knots and soreness in the muscle tissue for me so i'd assume it would do the same for you guys, everyone around here always feel more limber and just overall better after a foam roll session. they're also great for injury rehabilitation and prevention, a friend of mine who has lifted heavy since high school has problems with some of his joints and after he foam rolls over his quad (IT band), his knee moves better with less stiffness etc. they're amazing, i'd highly recommend at least trying one if you can

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Machida family recommends the perfect pre and post workout drink.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony "The Goods" Garcia View Post
    Lmfao! I've been killing some Kefir! We have this store called united grocery outlet and it's all super cheap shit that us poor folk eat. They had 1/2 gallons of Kefir for $1 last week. This week 4 pints of frozen pumpkin Kefir for a $1. It makes me feel awesome!
    Lol, that's legit that someone else drinks that stuff, it tastes better than a lot of stuff I've had as a post workout drink. The worst is the plain kind. I've never had horse semen, but I guarantee it tastes extremely similar.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    For recovery, a standard protein shake is pretty good (for optimum health benefits, hemp protein w/ stevia is probably best). As for reducing the soreness and muscle aches from training, creatine and glucosamine does wonders (with lots of water so the creatine saturates the muscles). Personally, I haven't exactly been supplementing as much lately, but those two are definitely effective and worth the cost. You and Sean already know about that coconut water, so no need to mention that

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    I blend a ripe banana, homemade greek yog, honey, cocoa powder and ice. Tastes better (more natural) than any protein drink. You can add extra banana/choc flavoured protein in there if you want, but I don't find I need it. I get enough protein in my diet.
    Mine is 1 cup unsweeted yogurt, 1 banana,5 strawberries, honey. Plus a huge glass of water.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    So my shaker cup smells awful, like super rank from me losing it while it was filled with yogurt and whey. I tried heat, freezing it, bleach and I couldn't kill the funk.

After putting the Kefir in it for the shake, no smell. Kind of weird.

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    Mine is 1 cup unsweeted yogurt, 1 banana,5 strawberries, honey. Plus a huge glass of water.
    Yeah that sounds nice. I've added strawbs and blubs when the season was right. I dunno about the science of it but I feel more refreshed and reinvigorated after having sugary fruit with some fat/protein after training than I do when having a whey shake.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    Yeah that sounds nice. I've added strawbs and blubs when the season was right. I dunno about the science of it but I feel more refreshed and reinvigorated after having sugary fruit with some fat/protein after training than I do when having a whey shake.
    Maybe the sugar is restoring Glycogen stores or something like that.
    For Jiu Jitsu days, Pre-workout I usually take fruits with Whey. Blueberry etc are great pre-workout fruits.
    For post-workout I take Whey with veggies and plant based adaptogens for recovery. The system I use has everything in powder form so it's easy to mix up your concoctions however you want to suit whatever your needs.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    the best after workout drink is to ring out your gi pants and drink the sweat.

It replaces all the nutrients you and everybody just sweat out.

Plus it helps take away some of the smell if you don't wash your gi pants often enough

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    You can keep a food journal. If you have a smart phone there's tons of free apps. I personally use excel. I wouldn't worry about daily macros, more a three day average. If you want to read up on nutrition I strongly recommend Berardi. He is a great nutritionist. If you are feeling like a trainwreck, it could be that your protein isn't high enough. I would shoot for a 1.5-2 g per kg of bodyweight.

Have you guys tried doing any post workout recovery? Myofascial release, stretching, etc? That helps my back from binding up after a tough day.
    ahuh. . Myofascial release . . . . .huh . .huh
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast