Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marcelotine?

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elliott View Post
    Insert Zog's latest pic on this thread....
    +1

I think it's pretty easy to say objectively that Marcelo Garcia's high-elbow guillotine is a better choke all around for jiu jitsu and submission grappling.

You can't base everything off results, but I don't think I've ever seen a prayer/Jones guillotine in high level grappling. Maybe 1 or 2. I've seen dozens of high-elobw guillotines at the highest levels of grappling and MMA.

The high elbow guillotine takes less muscle to finish, and can generally be finished from more spots. Also, the lifted elbow/forearm blocks their shoulder from driving into you and flattening you out, so once the elbow lifts is basically impossible to stop.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    "Dontch listen to datch guy, he's a white beltch!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    What doesn Jones guillotine look like? Was it just in a ufc? My computer blew out a couple weeks ago, is there youtube links?

I know the high elbow (marcelotine), low elbow, traditional arm in, 10 finger guillotine and this sgrip variations one of my students keep making people go unconcious using. Whats different between the Jones one?

Marcelo landed that guillotine on every high level player, he lands it and can finish it from every position including bottom side control. Thats why its called a Marcelotine can Jones do that with his?

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I dont know this guy, but I'm pretty sure it's the same choke. Mckenzitine.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill Schwartz View Post
    I dont know this guy, but I'm pretty sure it's the same choke. Mckenzitine.

Is this the Jones guillotine?

I came from the behring self defense progressive guard system before switching to 10th planet and we called this a low elbow guillotine.

Dont you just take your free arm and reach it far over my back to defend that? Thats why you pop the elbow over the shoulder with the high elbow version is to stop that defense.

Does jones finish from mount?

Array

School
    Sbardella MMA/Black Tie BJJ
    Hard to go wrong with a Marcelotine

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Navarro View Post
    True, I would say Jon Jones has the best Jiu Jitsu in the UFC's LHW division.
    For the first time in my life, I am at a loss for words...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post

Marcelo landed that guillotine on every high level player, he lands it and can finish it from every position including bottom side control. Thats why its called a Marcelotine can Jones do that with his?
    This is the right answer. I think not only is this a strong case but it's spread so far and been used by others with unparallelled success as well. Since the grappling community's knowledge of Marcelo's guillotine really exploded after ADCC 2009 I would say almost every single elite level grappler prefers to use the high-elbow guillotine. It's been used successfully by all belts at the NoGi Worlds and at ADCC by plenty of grapplers not named Marcelo Garcia.

This isn't even a guard or anything like that. It's just a submission. And it's exploded like crazy over the past 4 years. I can't think of any submission since the Darce that has exploded like crazy and Marcelo basically changed the way that everyone does the guillotine. You still see some arm-in guillotines and other guillotine variations, especially in MMA, but in NoGi grappling these days it's almost all high-elbow the higher the level gets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123