Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Traditional half does seem good for trying to break your opponents hand with your manly face though

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by VIVIANO View Post
    Man I'm glad to see this thread...I felt like the half guard used in last nights UFC gave bjj a bad name. I feel like so much could be gained from using the lockdown to perfect double under hooks for sweeps and avoiding shots. Also from quarter guard, if guys would hook across the back to the far lat muscle and use the other hand to control the bicep until they could get the underhook, they could be so much more effective
    Thank you! I knew I couldn't be alone on this matter!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by VIVIANO View Post
    Traditional half does seem good for trying to break your opponents hand with your manly face though
    Oh there definitely seems to be a LOT of training in regards to that technique.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I'm curious, can you get to perfect double unders without using the lockdown to get there? Like when an opponent postures up to throw strikes. Is it ok to just sit up and get the double unders and body lock reverse or dog fight?

Array

School
    Lotus Club JJ
    I saw this article couple of weeks ago pretty interesting stuff

http://mmafightdb.com/how-effective-...sweeps-in-mma/

could be that alot of BJJ guys dont practice getting punched in the face enough during grappling or simple as the sport is relatively new (sure we can argue when MMA first started) but for example boxing at first without gloves then changed and evolved and got more technical so maybe not to long from now we'll laugh at how BJJ is used nowadays like how not many people knew submissions in Royce era. (Im sure a number of fighters today would decimate royce in his prime, just how time works)

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I'm curious, can you get to perfect double unders without using the lockdown to get there? Like when an opponent postures up to throw strikes. Is it ok to just sit up and get the double unders and body lock reverse or dog fight?
    Yes. I do that all the time. You get way more control with the lockdown as well as the weapon feature the lockdown employs. But, especially against bigger guys that I don't want to be flat on my back with I'll go traditional half to pdu to dog fight or prison guard (I love hitting pg from here on big dudes; right to the back). Very available option which is also something I never see utilized in mma.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel"EL DIABLO"Diaz View Post
    I saw this article couple of weeks ago pretty interesting stuff

http://mmafightdb.com/how-effective-...sweeps-in-mma/

could be that alot of BJJ guys dont practice getting punched in the face enough during grappling or simple as the sport is relatively new (sure we can argue when MMA first started) but for example boxing at first without gloves then changed and evolved and got more technical so maybe not to long from now we'll laugh at how BJJ is used nowadays like how not many people knew submissions in Royce era. (Im sure a number of fighters today would decimate royce in his prime, just how time works)
    Perhaps, but when you're watching a trained jj assassin such as Frank Mir get his face pounded while not clinching in traditional half and switching to Z GUARD IN AN MMA MATCH (continuing to get his face pounded!), I think it goes beyond the simple evolution of the sport of mma and more into the use of clinching in jj that Eddie always talks about; something that our lockdown system inherently employs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12