Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Applegate View Post
    A lot of guys, including myself, will stomp the heel on the foot you are trying to crush. If I grabb around the waist I am not controlling your ability to stomp. Also, I want to be able to sweep and pass if things go sour. Controlling the waist offers less control over all.
    Wonderful answer and great logic. I will be playing with this soon. Great stuff.

Array

School
    Ronin
    another powerful technique vid on the forum
    Facebook, Twitter check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pheonix00789
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pheonix_00789
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/phoenix_00789

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Applegate View Post
    A lot of guys, including myself, will stomp the heel on the foot you are trying to crush. If I grabb around the waist I am not controlling your ability to stomp. Also, I want to be able to sweep and pass if things go sour. Controlling the waist offers less control over all.
    Grabbing the waist allows you to take the back if things go sour, like how Rafa took Rader's back in ADCC. It looks like in the Cob match, he wasn't at the right angle to grab the waist because in other matches that seems to be his preferred.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Grabbing the waist allows you to take the back if things go sour, like how Rafa took Rader's back in ADCC. It looks like in the Cob match, he wasn't at the right angle to grab the waist because in other matches that seems to be his preferred.
    notice that rafa is using this position to get to the back, not to finish or to get on top. grabbing the waist offers you a chance at the back, but you sacrifice some control. that control is what leads to the top position if things go sour. getting to the back is great, but its a lower % option than sweeping for top position.

rafa is accepting the loss of submission and trying to get the back there, thats a different philosophy than i am presenting.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    What makes it lower percentage? I can think of several matches where it was used to take the back, but none where it was used to sweep

Array

School
    double underhooks to take the back vs. x-guard clinch sweep to top position. which one is higher percentage? do you really think double unders to the back nogi is higher percentage than x clinch to the top?

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I am saying, over all the matches that calf crusher has been in it has been finished most often with waist control and that there have been more back takes than sweeps. I mean maybe you have created a better finishing position, but to call it higher percentage without any backup at this point seems rather hopeful. In the very example you gave, Rafa switches to waist control and doesn't keep the underhook.

Array

School
    I am saying, over all the matches that calf crusher has been in it has been finished most often with waist control and that there have been more back takes than sweeps. I mean maybe you have created a better finishing position, but to call it higher percentage without any backup at this point seems rather hopeful. In the very example you gave, Rafa switches to waist control and doesn't keep the underhook.
    I've hit this in comp. i use it on a daily basis. do you? i pointed out rafa's control. the fact that he switched and chased the back is great, but not the philosophy i presented. you have seen all the matches that calf slicer has been attempted in? or have you just seen rafa attempt it? notice that cobrinha wasn't going anywhere until rafa tried to switch and take the back.

the proof is there. i, of course, don't know everything and never will. i probably should have said "in my experience" before i talked about the percentages.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Cobrinha didn't even feel the need to try to escape until Rafa went for the waist control, leading me to think he didn't feel any danger until that point.

I am trying to give constructive criticisms. We are both the same belt, it wouldn't bequeath either of us to assume we know more than the other. You should post the videos of you hitting it in competition though, that would definitely boost the credibility of the move. I woupd also enjoy knowing of any matches where it was used as a sweep, because I have honestly never seen it

Array

School
    Cobrinha didn't even feel the need to try to escape until Rafa went for the waist control, leading me to think he didn't feel any danger until that point.
    what?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast