Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA

Mental Preparation

I know there was some discussion about this topic from a while back before the forum crash but I wanted to bring it back up. Who out there either struggles with mental preparation for competition or feel like they excel in it?

I feel like I have lost some matches where my technique and skill level is better but I didn't perform at my best level. I have always been an advocate of being mentally strong and prepared, but have also struggled with it from time to time. As a high school and college wrestler I often had high potential in the practice room but did not perform the same when it was necessary in competition.

I was too young and ignorant to approach the topic back then but now I realize that it is necessary. What do you more seasoned competitors do to make sure you are mentally and psychologically ready to compete? I know some like to zone out listening to music, others like breathing exercises and meditation, and others like to joke around and keep the mood light.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    I know there was some discussion about this topic from a while back before the forum crash but I wanted to bring it back up. Who out there either struggles with mental preparation for competition or feel like they excel in it?

I feel like I have lost some matches where my technique and skill level is better but I didn't perform at my best level. I have always been an advocate of being mentally strong and prepared, but have also struggled with it from time to time. As a high school and college wrestler I often had high potential in the practice room but did not perform the same when it was necessary in competition.

I was too young and ignorant to approach the topic back then but now I realize that it is necessary. What do you more seasoned competitors do to make sure you are mentally and psychologically ready to compete? I know some like to zone out listening to music, others like breathing exercises and meditation, and others like to joke around and keep the mood light.
    For me Serious mental prep starts way before the competition but these are the few days prior

Two-three nights before ( My last hard rolling session) depending on how I'm feeling, I wear what I'm wearing for competition, I listen to what I have to listen to for competition and I get that "Nervous" feeling out that way. If my rolls 3 days out were abysmal, I take my shit wash it, tweak the playlist and get back after it the next night, which usually gives me my best results, I wash my stuff and take a bath with Peppermint and lavender essential oils.

The night before consists of pure enjoyment and doing things other than jiu jitsu, watching TV, playing video games, sleeping in or going to bed early (depending if I work), taking my mind completely off jiu jitsu. I don't watch film, study opponents or anything on this day, (All this should be done prior to the last 3 days). Another good soak in the tub is a must.

The day of competition, is usually super relaxed and loose up until I get called up on deck, The warm-ups are usually a good indicator on how ready I am, a light sweat is a must. I go through a series of dynamic standing warm-ups and the seated stretching warm-ups focusing on deep breathing. Once, I get called up on deck I start to turn up the volume on the music and start getting pumped, then from there I go out and do my thing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Know what your "A game" is and use it. Normally I'll try different stuff rolling and play around with different moves. But leading up to competition, I'll focus only on my best moves/submissions/escapes from each position. Its less stressful and you react quicker if you know what your going to go for ahead of time. I will actually write down what I should do from each scenario and then visualize it in my head.

Array

School
    RMNU / flowhouse bjj
    my brother just did an interview and a write up on this subject for bjj.org

http://www.bjj.org/three-keys-of-bjj-mental-performance

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    I have a book I'll let you read

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Thanks for the feedback, lots of good info here to consider.