Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    not completely, I started as a pure wrestler and beat some good jj players in my first year.
    True, a lot of wrestlers just turn "illegal moves" into their submissions.

Array

School
    Riverside Submission
    high school wrestling didn't allow submissions but we did learn cranks and I have put a guy or two to sleep...but that was 25 years ago...now they have outlawed everything.

Your friend should frankly...do both! Seriously. The wrestling instruction he gets in high school will be absolutely free and he will compete all the time. He will learn excellent balance and body movement.

Do BJJ as well. The will frankly work right off of each other. Wrestling has excellent takedowns and escapes. If you are grappling with a BJJ guy he may not have enough game to deal with your escapes.

My coach has 6 years of wrestling and 10 years of BJJ and he calls the spot Riverside Submission because he incorporates both. I think they are a perfect marriage honestly.

Array

School
    lawsons combat sports
    How old is the guy/ Is he still in school/ My son does both, wrestling in season and jiu jitsu out. He wanted to stop wrestling (he is in 8th grade and just likes jiu jitsu better) so I had him talk to my coach, bill keeling. Bill told him "why stop, use wrestling to get good at takedowns, and what about all these sparring partners you get in wrestling, and its free" So my son went back to wrestling this year. The first technique he learned this year was the twister and a modified crotch ripper. Now he is loving it. The other plus is wrestlings amazing conditioning. I guess i'm just trying to say that they compliment one another very well, so why pick one or the other? Plus I believe that position is always more important than submission, in both wrestling and jiu jitsu. When we start talking 10th planet jiu jitsu they fit together even better, so I say, if one can, one should do both!

Array

School
    10th Planet Eugene / Northwest Training Center
    Yeah..i taught him some basic submissions..He Loved hit.. he was able to hit armbars..and kimuras..and some RNC and arm triangles.=)

Array

School
    and he going to teach me wrestling..i dont have time to join my HS team..he said he will also show me more takedowns=)

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    How old is the guy/ Is he still in school/ My son does both, wrestling in season and jiu jitsu out. He wanted to stop wrestling (he is in 8th grade and just likes jiu jitsu better) so I had him talk to my coach, bill keeling. Bill told him "why stop, use wrestling to get good at takedowns, and what about all these sparring partners you get in wrestling, and its free" So my son went back to wrestling this year. The first technique he learned this year was the twister and a modified crotch ripper. Now he is loving it. The other plus is wrestlings amazing conditioning. I guess i'm just trying to say that they compliment one another very well, so why pick one or the other? Plus I believe that position is always more important than submission, in both wrestling and jiu jitsu. When we start talking 10th planet jiu jitsu they fit together even better, so I say, if one can, one should do both!
    He is like 5ft8 150..he is 17.

Array

School
    lawsons combat sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellby View Post
    He is like 5ft8 150..he is 17.
    I really think he shoulld do both then, if he can, if he is still in HS. Even if he is out of school I would reccomend he do both if possible, hes young and probably can handle both, physically that is. Working together is great, after all at the end of the day thats what makes one good, their training partners. You are being smart working with him, letting him teach you takedowns, stick together and you will go far together.

Array

School
    Yeah he is JR at my school..
    Its nice because he can drive..lol
    im only a 15yr old sophmore=)

Array

School
    he is ripped for a 17yr old.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFunk View Post
    high school wrestling didn't allow submissions but we did learn cranks and I have put a guy or two to sleep...but that was 25 years ago...now they have outlawed everything.

Your friend should frankly...do both! Seriously. The wrestling instruction he gets in high school will be absolutely free and he will compete all the time. He will learn excellent balance and body movement.

Do BJJ as well. The will frankly work right off of each other. Wrestling has excellent takedowns and escapes. If you are grappling with a BJJ guy he may not have enough game to deal with your escapes.

^^^this says it all

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast